Steak

Sharky

What's your favorite cut, and how do you like it cooked?

Saturday I went to the Piggly Wiggly in Chipley and the butcher cut me a couple of T-bones, 2 1/2 inches thick. Cooked 'em very rare. They fed 4 people.

Normally I would get porterhouse, but our guests like T-bones.

unclehobart

What she said.

A full inch to inch and a half thick. Fire up the grill as hot as it will go. Drop the steaks on there and slap the lid down. No matter how much smoke and fire you see... do... not.. touch... them... for at least a full four minutes. Flip and repeat. A nicely seared and fairly rare piece of meat is left behind. Let rest for 5 minutes on a warm plate. Leave it on for up to 7 minutes a side for those that like it wasted and dry.

unclehobart

You have some serious cold spots on that grill, Shark. One edge is crispy while the other seems barely kissed by heat.

Sharky

What she said.

A full inch to inch and a half thick. Fire up the grill as hot as it will go. Drop the steaks on there and slap the lid down. No matter how much smoke and fire you see... do... not.. touch... them... for at least a full four minutes. Flip and repeat. A nicely seared and fairly rare piece of meat is left behind. Let rest for 5 minutes on a warm plate. Leave it on for up to 7 minutes a side for those that like it wasted and dry.

That sounds like a good method. Strips are good pan-fried, too - nice and crispy on the outside, still bloody inside.

unclehobart said:
You have some serious cold spots on that grill, Shark. One edge is crispy while the other seems barely kissed by heat.
Yeah, it's old and decrepit. The burners are very uneven - that's the last time I buy a grill with cast iron burners. Next one will be a Char-Broil with brass burners.

Sharky

What's your favorite cut, and how do you like it cooked?

Saturday I went to the Piggly Wiggly in Chipley and the butcher cut me a couple of T-bones, 2 1/2 inches thick. Cooked 'em very rare. They fed 4 people.

Normally I would get porterhouse, but our guests like T-bones.

Oops - typo. That should be 1 1/2 inches thick.

unclehobart

You cook those steaks lid up or lid down? If that grill is on the way out, the only real way to combat the cold spots is to get that lid soooo very hot that the radiative effect will pick up half of that slack.

Sharky

You cook those steaks lid up or lid down? If that grill is on the way out, the only real way to combat the cold spots is to get that lid soooo very hot that the radiative effect will pick up half of that slack.

It doesn't have a lid, just a flat cover for when it's not in use. Home Depot had them on closeout sale, I think I paid something like $50 for it a couple of years ago. I bought it because it fits behind the bar, there's not enough room for a lid to swing up. I use heavy-duty aluminum foil to cover food cooking, which is pretty much worthless for keeping in heat. :shrug:

The Char-Broil will have to go on the patio, I reckon.

rrfield

Porterhouse is my favorite cut. Yummy! I like them cooked medium, seasoned with just a little peppercorn and thats it. Sometimes I get a woody thinking about steak.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Ribeye, one and a half to two inches thick, marinated 24 hours in a bath of bourbon, rosemary, salt, pepper, and just a touch of thyme. Place on a charcoal fired grill, with wet pecan wood on the hot coals, for 6 minutes a side, and the lid closed. You want as much smoke as possible...:grinyes:

MrBishop

I'm not as much of a connaisseur, tho I do like a nice t-bone, med-rare. I just discovered 'charcoal' rub, which does beautiful things to the taste of the steak, although every cut looks burnt no matter how little you cook it.