steering and traction protection

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Today I tested my car again for something I thought was intentional and not a flaw.

I was accelerating (doing a wide U turn)and when the tires started to squeal I noticed the car's acceleration was not the same, even thou I had my foot on the gas still, RPM would increase slowly too. When I got out of the curve I felt a burst of power, as if the computer had blocked the engine from injecting more power to the tires in order to correct the path.

Neat.

Professur

Neat ... right up until you need that damn power and the computer tell you "no". File that right beside ABS as things to ensure I never get saddled with.

highwayman

ABS I can do with or without, When it works it works good..

Now as far as the computor deciding when and how much power I need is another animal altogether.. If I paid for a specific engine, that engine is expected to provide the advertised output at all times during operation of said vehicle...

Luis G

Staff member
Well, we never get ice so it is a neat thing. The car has too much power for its size, which can be dangerous if you don't know how to handle it.

Luis G

Staff member
Darwin came up with a good solution for that....

If they crash against a wall I wouldn't mind. But I sure as hell wouldn't want to be standing on the sidewalk when Darwin selects a car for extermination. ;)

You can always alter the puter to disable traction control (I just find out that's the name of the feat).

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
You've never had ABS turn off your brakes on ice, have you?

Strange. My Audi has a switch to turn the ABS off. The Chrysler, however, has to rely on a temp sensor. When the outside temp is below a certain level (30F), the ABS is off...or so they allege...

Professur

Luis, ABS relies on letting the brakes off for a microsecond to let them regain traction. Since on ice, they're not going to (unless you've invested in ice tires) the brakes stay off. And slam that pedal as hard as you will, they're not coming back until there's enough traction to convince the system. The trouble being, if the brakes had been on, you'd have picked at least some friction. 4 season tires and ABS in a Canadian winter is a death sentence.

Luis G

Staff member
Luis, ABS relies on letting the brakes off for a microsecond to let them regain traction. Since on ice, they're not going to (unless you've invested in ice tires) the brakes stay off. And slam that pedal as hard as you will, they're not coming back until there's enough traction to convince the system. The trouble being, if the brakes had been on, you'd have picked at least some friction. 4 season tires and ABS in a Canadian winter is a death sentence.

I thought when ABS kicked in it would turn the brakes on and off in a timely fashion not until the tire regain traction.

Good to know it works differently, we don't have those problems here but there was one year when some roads got black ice.

Professur

ABS supposedly serves best on wet surfaces. Sorry, but if you need ABS, you damn well shouldn't have a license in the first place.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Speaking of four seasons...I'm taking my car in for her first oil change on Saturday *sniffs and wipes away a tear*my baby is growing up *sniffs again*

Anywhoo...I'm gonna price winter tires...what kinda price range should I expect Prof?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
P195/60R15 and I'm getting them on steel rims...to make future changes easier and keep my nice rims salt free.

Professur

If you'd said 70 instead of 60 you could have had the tires off the van. You're looking about $130 per tire for Toyo Observe (my personal recommendation). Rims at a parts shop will probably run you $45-55 a piece. Ask specifically for jobber rims.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
If you'd said 70 instead of 60 you could have had the tires off the van. You're looking about $130 per tire for Toyo Observe (my personal recommendation). Rims at a parts shop will probably run you $45-55 a piece. Ask specifically for jobber rims.

I'll look up what my mom's car is :D

She's getting snow tires too, maybe I could con her into paying 50% of mine if I get her some for free :D