Strange firefox problem

Raven

Annoying SOB
Earlier today I was happily browsing with Firefox 1.0 and then closed it. Came back 10 mins later to use it again and it says something about creating a new profile. I see I already have my default profile on there so I just double click on that instead but I got an error message saying this profile is already in use, in turn not allowing me to use the browser.

So I create this new profile so I can actually get online called default user, thinking I can switch back once it stops arsing about. Except I can't meaning I have now lost all my themes, extensions and plugins on that profile unless I can figure out a way to switch back to the original profile. Theres nothing in the help system.....any of you guys got any ideas?

Raven

Annoying SOB
OK that would really really suck if I'm getting what you are saying, but as yet theres no evidence of that i.e lack of privaleges to anything, firewall going crazy etc

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Alls I can say is system restore, man. Somethings got at it or fubared it.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Sometimes mozilla/firefox don't close properly (this could be due to a plugin bug or something). You can see the window closing but the process is still there, perhaps waiting for a signal. The solution is to open task manager and kill the process. Then start it again.

Inkara1

Luis G said:
Sometimes mozilla/firefox don't close properly (this could be due to a plugin bug or something). You can see the window closing but the process is still there, perhaps waiting for a signal. The solution is to open task manager and kill the process. Then start it again.
Make it two votes to make sure the program really did close by doing ctrl-alt-del and killing it at the task manager. If that doesn't work, a reboot can work wonders.

Raven

Annoying SOB
Well....reboot did nothing, and now that second profile is in place and I can't get back to the first one.....looks like I'ma hafta go customisin' again.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
*suggestion* If you're gonna go through it all again...I'd maybe uninstall it and reinstall it. It's messed up somehow, so...just to prevent that or worse happening again, it might be a good idea.

Mirlyn

Leslie said:
*suggestion* If you're gonna go through it all again...I'd maybe uninstall it and reinstall it. It's messed up somehow, so...just to prevent that or worse happening again, it might be a good idea.
...and reinstall with a new download of it which mayhaps include a fix?

Luis G

Staff member
Raven said:
Well....reboot did nothing, and now that second profile is in place and I can't get back to the first one.....looks like I'ma hafta go customisin' again.

Delete the profile you created.

Luis G

Staff member
Go to start, programs, firefox, and you should find the profile manager.

Make sure you have firefox closed (verify it with task manager).

Luis G

Staff member
I was giving out mozilla instructions as i haven't tried firefox yet.

My profile manager shortcut executes
"C:\Archivos de programa\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe" -ProfileManager

I guess creating a shortcut to firefox and adding the option -ProfileManager might work.

Luis G

Staff member
ok, then while firefox is running, execute firefox again, that should bring up the profile manager :shrug:

Make your other profile the default one.