suggestion for 2nd forum

G

A lot of the content of the old ot was religious and political debates. I suggest a Real World forum that deals strictly with serious issues in the real world.

One other thing that I suggest is not to get a great number of forums because it spreads people out all over the board. A handful would probably be best to start with. NEO asked this question over at HWC if people wanted more than one forum.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
A forum dedicated to the purpose of those religious and political debates? Sounds good.

What does everyone else think?

sbcanada

Yeah, we can have 5 or so different categories of OT.

I think the "Lunatic Lounge" is good for just plain ol' OT that doesn't fall into the other categories. :)

G

It wouldn't have to be just religion and politics. It could also include news stories that really news worthy. I think only serious topics should go in this one.

Any goofy or retarded things could go in the Lunatic Lounge.

A entertainment forum talking only about show business would be cool. Topics about music, tv, and movies. Talk of actors/actresses...etc.

If you had about 5 forums, that would make a lot of people that want to be mods happy.

sbcanada

Okay. So far we have a Lunatic Lounge, an entertainment forum, and a forum for world events. What about one for "relationships"? All your "I'm a poor, lonely old bastard" posts can go there. lol

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Very enticing suggestions. 5 forums sounds about right.

How are these descriptions?

Lunatic Lounge (name is still up in the air, though)
General Off Topic discussion not falling into the other categories[/siz]

Entertainment
Talk about movies, sports, music, TV, etc.[/siz]

Real World
Discussion about world events and lengthy battles about religion, politics, and whether there really is any intelligent life here on Earth[/siz]

Relationship forum (name suggestions?)
Whether you just got dumped, dumped your S.O. or are planning on picking up a half a dozen chicks, talk about it all here[/siz]

Town Hall
Feedback and suggestions about the site, and nominations and votings for moderators and other site issues.[/siz]

sbcanada

We will have about 2 moderators per forum? I guess we could hire 10 more mods, since I could be just the main moderator of all forums. :D

I do not want to be restricted to 1 forum for moderation. I'll be here a lot and I need work to do. :)

Or, we may only need 1 mod per forum, plus me (the Super Mod) and the Admins. How many mods do you guys/gals think we need per forum?

G

What about calling Uncs idea a Lifestlye forum? You could discuss food, fashion, and things that generally don't matter much to me. :D

5 forums is a good way to start. You can add more later if they are needed.

unclehobart

Add pets to my collective lifestyles idea.

Theres no reason to tag it with a wussy name that will cause people to avoid it. I don't need to be modding a forum with a wanker name. :D

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
I've always thought too few forums was better than too many. I would say five is the upper limit for purely Off-Topic discussion.

I think HWC should combine a few forums as well... but then, this isn't HWC. :D

My suggestions would be the Town Hall, a serious OT forum (for religious/political/scientific debate), and a non-serious forum. The non-serious could be broken down, but then you have to decide where to draw lines.

HWC got by with just one OT forum, and while it was there, it was kicking. I just wouldn't want to see post counts low in the forums because the threads were spread out all over the place. Until membership really picks up (a lot) it is probably better to stick with as few as possible (but s4's suggestion of a serious OT debate forum sounds like a damn good idea).

And, since I already said in a thread in the Town Hall that I'd be interesting in modding, I'll say here that modding a serious debate forum sounds like a hella fun (and rewarding) job. Put me in whatever hat names are going into, and let me know when to start kissing babies.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
mods per forum should probably be based on the amount of traffic in the particular forum. 5 forums would be a nice mix, any more and it would start to spread out the post and might make it look sparse in here. OSLI has the right idea.
As s4 said its easy to add more as we need them but becomes a pain to shrink them down if they arent very busy.

So is the speed of the forums working out? It appears pretty quick on my 56k (please tell my wife I NEED cable modem) but we want to make sure everything is optimized and quick.:)