Swine flu

valkyrie

Flew out from the US with 3 people confirmed with swine flu.
:eek:
Yeesh...
And the death toll for Mexico keeps going up. I heard a story on the radio about a man who tried 3 times to get his child admitted to the hospital. She had symptoms and twice she was sent away. The third hospital admitted her. She has pneumonia now, which is what the others died from. Maybe this is why the death toll in Mexico has hit over 150: hospitals kept sending people away and not admitting them until it was too late.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
:eek:
Yeesh...
And the death toll for Mexico keeps going up. I heard a story on the radio about a man who tried 3 times to get his child admitted to the hospital. She had symptoms and twice she was sent away. The third hospital admitted her. She has pneumonia now, which is what the others died from. Maybe this is why the death toll in Mexico has hit over 150: hospitals kept sending people away and not admitting them until it was too late.

That and also:
- Many people confused this with a cold and did not get proper treatment earlier.
- It is now known which meds are effective, it is likely that many had another medication.
- Many other might have gotten the right medication when it was too late.
- The number of confirmed deaths because of swine flu is much lower, it is around 20-30, the rest are just probable and are awaiting confirmation.

valkyrie

That and also:
- Many people confused this with a cold and did not get proper treatment earlier.
- It is now known which meds are effective, it is likely that many had another medication.
- Many other might have gotten the right medication when it was too late.
- The number of confirmed deaths because of swine flu is much lower, it is around 20-30, the rest are just probable and are awaiting confirmation.
You're right... this is confusing...
" Meanwhile, Mexican health officials suspect the swine flu outbreak has caused more than 159 deaths and roughly 2,500 illnesses.

The World Health Organization says at least 105 cases have been confirmed worldwide, including 64 in the United States; 26 in Mexico; six in Canada; three in New Zealand; and two each in Spain, the United Kingdom and Israel. WHO has confirmed deaths only in Mexico, where seven people have died from swine flu."
Earliest case of swine flew tucked away in Mexico, officials say

Dave

We now have specific protocols for dealing with swine flu patients. It won't work if it does become a pandemic, but at least we have protocols.

On a side note, the boss had her son rush right in today. He goes to college in NY and was having flu like symptoms as were several of his dorm mates. Our rapid flu test said he had type A which is along the same strain as the swine flu. We won't know for 3 or so more days if he actually has it or not as we have to send it out to be tested.

catocom

no,....no, I really think we are about to be hit again big, is, what it is.
They are gearing up for it, but won't be able to stop it.
The admin just doesn't know what it'll be.

Dave

Earlier a 23-month-old child flown in from Mexico died as she received emergency treatment in Texas.

Don't know if they edited the piece, but this is a quote from the link Bish provided.

MrBishop

Don't know if they edited the piece, but this is a quote from the link Bish provided.
Looks like they did...
WASHINGTON (CNN) — A 22-month-old child from Mexico who went to Houston, Texas, for medical treatment is the first confirmed U.S. fatality from swine flu, the CDC and Houston health authorities said Wednesday.
Kathy Barton, spokeswoman for the Houston Health Department, told CNN the toddler was not a U.S. citizen. She did not know where the child was from in Mexico, and could provide no other details.

“My thoughts and prayers and deepest condolences go out to the family, as well as (to) those who are ill and recovering from this flu,” President Barack Obama said at a news conference unrelated to the health issue.
“This is obviously a serious situation — serious enough to take the utmost precautions.”

The president said Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and newly confirmed Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius were closely monitoring the swine flu outbreak.
CNN

2minkey

bootlicker
no,....no, I really think we are about to be hit again big, is, what it is.
They are gearing up for it, but won't be able to stop it.
The admin just doesn't know what it'll be.

we're doomed!!!!

by the end of this, we'll all be speaking german and we'll be so desperate we'll eat our pets.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
we're doomed!!!!

by the end of this, we'll all be speaking german and we'll be so desperate we'll eat our pets.

A more true statement has never been spoken. We are all going to die...eventually. Some of us more dramatically than others, but the end results will be the same.

BTW...Dog doesn't taste all that bad. I'd stay away from cats, though...

chcr

Too cute for words
I should head over to the Slick Pig (best barbecue in town), stand outside coughing and sneezing and see if they'll bribe me in ribs to go away. :D

BTW minky, I'd starve before I'd eat my pets. Yours are probably not so safe.

MrBishop

:shrug: More than enough wild hares in my area that I'd never have to eat my pets (If I had any left).

I'm told that co-workers go well with a nice red wine.

jimpeel

Guess what? It seems that the World Health Organization has different numbers on the number of deaths.

See how easy it is to panic an entire planet with false information? Now think Global Warming.

SOURCE

WHO says 7 dead worldwide from swine flu, not 150+ Mexico claims
By Michael Krebs.

Published yesterday by ■ Michael Krebs

World Health Organization official seeks to correct the death figures coming out of Mexico, saying that the numbers are not WHO-endorsed.
According to the World Health Organization, there have been just 7 deaths attributed to the H1N1 swine flu that originated in Mexico. The 7 recorded deaths are WHO figures and are reflective of the virus' impact globally.

The Mexican government has claimed that more than 150 people have died from the virulent flu strain, and this figure has sent governments around the world into preventative actions.

Vivienne Allan, a member of the World Health Organization's patient safety program, said that worldwide there had been just seven deaths - all of them in Mexico - and 79 confirmed cases of the disease globally.

"Unfortunately that [150-plus deaths] is incorrect information and it does happen, but that's not information that's come from the World Health Organisation," Ms Allan told ABC Radio, according to a report in Sydney Morning Herald.

While she said that it is difficult to measure the speed of the spreading virus, she acknowledged that a major concern would be if the strain appeared in a region where there was no prior Mexican link - indicating a general ecological evolution of the virus.

"There is no pattern that has emerged at this stage to be able to say that it is spreading in a particular way or it is spreading into a particular country ... the situation is continuing to evolve," she said, according to Sydney Morning Herald.

She confirmed that the virus is not airborne - but is instead spread through droplets. WHO is not yet recommending against overseas travel.

GrandCaravanSE

HOLY SHIT!!!! SWINE FLU, RUN RUN RUN...
Oh yea thats right it is just a regular flu that has mutated so it can be in humans. MEDIA OVER REACTS WAY TO MUCH!!!