Technical problem

Raven

Annoying SOB
I'm at a loss.

A friend of mine is trying to connect to the internet on her high speed connection. The modem is showing upstream and downstream signals and it shows as connected in her system tray with upstream and downstream packets being sent and received. However whenever she tries to connect using internet explorer, access her email or uses IM programs its acting like its not connected. I suggested disabling her firewall as I thought it may have locked down due to a hack attempt or virus infestation but she says her virus scanner picked up no results and disabling the firewall had no effect.

Any suggestions besides reformatting?

catocom

what ISP is she using?
what brand/model of modem?
what OS, I'm guessing xp???
is she using a router, or hub?

chcr

Too cute for words
Also might check networking settings. I'm betting everything should me set to automatic, but check the documentation.

Kawaii

Some isps require you to login in order to use your connection... For example, my login page is login1.telia.com. If i try to access the internet when i'm not logged i get exactly the results you describe.
Read through the papers your friend got when she signed up and look for some username info or login or whatever.

Inkara1

Did she just now get high-speed internet? Over here, they ship the modem and stuff to you, and it has a tendency to get there a couple days before your "activation date."

Raven

Annoying SOB
nah shes had it a while and she was logged on to her ISP, it just wasnt connecting to anything external. There were also random processes running that werent windows services and she wasnt running anything else. Anyways shes used some womens intuition and used a different method to resolve the problem.....

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Raven said:
nah shes had it a while and she was logged on to her ISP, it just wasnt connecting to anything external. There were also random processes running that werent windows services and she wasnt running anything else. Anyways shes used some womens intuition and used a different method to resolve the problem.....

LMAO!!