telephone installation problem

Professur said:
Simple version. If you have to put those line filters (the little dangly things) on all your phones, it's single line.

I've got 4MB cable. DSL can bite me. It was just an impression I had. I don't know anybody with DSL. Thay all have cable or dial up.

Alright, I took a piece of the external wire and went to the store, asked for telephone cable like "this one" and they just said "ohhh for exteriors", then asked for telephone cables for interiors and a wall socket.

Now I have telephone on my room, and I'm read to plug that damn DSL modem which arrives tomorrow.

Now to cancel Internet with the cable co...

One pair, two pair, three fucking pair. Who care's? Just tell him how to wire the damn thing someone please.

:banghead:

Just tell him how to wire the damn thing someone please.
Nope, won't do it.

Just for information purposes, I'm one of those 1% people. My DSL runs on the unused pair with the phone wire. I know this because shortly after the phone company installation I went to the box and ran new cat5 from the box to my DSL modem. I unhooked it from the unused pair and put one pair of the cat5 on the terminals the unused pair were on.

DSL is lame
but it sure beats dial up
just barely

the Alexander Gramhm Bell technology wasn't ever designed to carry Meggie Bitiods

Belltele.gif

PostCode said:
One pair, two pair, three fucking pair. Who care's? Just tell him how to wire the damn thing someone please.

:banghead:

Odds are if a phone is working, DSL will work.

Been troubleshoting my connection for the past few days.

Turns out like this:
1. Some pages won't open if I connect through my wireless router.
2. If I plug the modem directly to my laptop, everything works.
3. If I use the router as a switch (i.e. connect the modem as another puter), then everything works IF ZONEALARM is shut down.
4. Today in the morning, it stopped working.

And the ultimate answer to all this is: change the goddamn MTU on your puters to 1492 to make it work :rolleyes:

Leslie said:

MTU = Maximum Transfer Unit

It is a network setting, *I think* windows have it set to 1500 by default, which is also ethernet default. However, the PPPoE protocol used by DSL modems has an MTU of 1492, 8 lower than default. So, when your computer tries to send as much information per package as it can (common with encrypted content), the dsl modem will just drop them.

You know, 1492, the year Columbus sailed to the New World. Change your settings to that and you too can mistake islands for a continent that's on the other side of the world.

Back