Temperature anomoly 2010

MrBishop

http://climateprogress.org/2010/07/10/nasa-hottest-year-solar-minimum/
Following fast on the heels of the hottest Jan-May — and spring — in the temperature record, it’s also the hottest Jan-June on record in the NASA dataset [click on figure to enlarge].

It’s all the more powerful evidence of human-caused warming “because it occurs when the recent minimum of solar irradiance is having its maximum cooling effect,” as a recent must-read NASA paper notes.

Software engineer (and former machinist mate in the US Navy) Timothy Chase put together a spreadsheet using the data from NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (click here). In NASA’s dataset, the 12-month running average temperature record was actually just barely set in March — and then easily set in April and topped out in May.

It still seems likely that 2010 will be the hottest year on record, but NOAA now predicts that “La Niña conditions are likely to develop during July – August 2010.” If the La Niña comes fast and deep (as in 1998 and 2007), that could make it a close call in the NASA dataset — and even more so in the satellite record, which is much more sensitive to ENSO ( El Niño Southern oscillation).

Doesn't look good for the 'Solar minimum' argument.

2minkey

bootlicker
several words - one record season does not global warming make. it's about big patterns. not factlets. shit, where is peel?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Considering, is our puny 100 -120 years of record keeping even enough for a long term statistical average?

valkyrie

Fuck, I hate El Nina years. We get drought during those years. We're enjoying a great weather pattern right now. Lots of rain for the fields and the temps aren't too shabby. Last year it was so hot for so long that it fried my garden. There was nothing I could do to stop it. I even hung old bed sheets for shade but I still couldn't grow anything at all. I think the heat stunted the growth of my plants.

jimpeel

I'm here, Minks.

How they can say that this is the hottest on record flies in the face of the history of global warming. Unless they are only considering the past one hundred years of records -- and ignoring the eight hundred to sixteen thousand years preceding it -- their argument might be sound.

However, ignoring the totality of history for the sliver that supports your claims is disingenuous and downright bad science.

Professor Bob Carter has a great presentation on the time lines of warming and cooling over an extended period of time HERE which is part 1 of 4.

All the warmers have to do is ignore the longer periods, which blow their theories out of the water, and concentrate on the shorter periods, which support their theories.

He also speaks to the fact that if the polar bears are going to be wiped from the face of the Earth then why are they here now. They should have been similarly wiped out during the other warm periods which were hotter than today.

valkyrie

Even if you don't think the Climate Change scientists you should want to clean up this earth for the sake of the next generation (or yourself). Areas with high concentrations of polutants also have high medical bills (asthma and cancer among other illnesses).

Oh, and it's not "Global Warming" it's "Climate Change."

jimpeel

Here is another temperature anomaly.

SOURCE

July snow, torrential rains pound province

City bus trips prove to be more of a raft ride while chuckwagon races are cancelled in Calgary

By Juliana Cummins, Edmonton Journal July 14, 2010

On Tuesday, Marmot Basin ski resort in Jasper National Park saw 18 cm of snow.

Megan Gibson, a spokeswoman for Marmot Basin, knew what to do.

"I built a snowman."

[email protected]
© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
A. except for a minor mishap in teh Gilf of Mexico, nothing. We've already taken care of it.

valkyrie

You must have never lived near a refinery in Texas. Those nasty beasts are grandfathered in so they do not need to filter the filth that gets spewed out of their stacks. And you must live in a state that has strict emissions regulations.

In Texas it is easy to buy a counterfeit vehicle inspection sticker. In one county north of here it was estimated that as much as 40% of all inspection stickers are counterfeit. And Texas does not have very strict emissions regulations.

What we need to clean up:
1) air
2) water (fresh as well as salt)
3) land

I would LOVE to see the USA cut it's dependency on foreign imported oil. I think the only way to do that is to move away from oil. G and I are planning to install (ourselves) a solar system. The drive is less motivated by save the environment and more by fuck the man and his fat, hair fist reaching into my wallet every month. We'll have to make some adjustments on how we use our electricity. We're already installing better lighting in the house and we bought some serious insulation for the attic.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I live in a state with no emissions standards. I've lived in two with strict standards. The current one is cleaner. (landscape & environment...not CO2 output) Though, Los Angeles is one big fat fuck of a lot cleaner that it was in 1969.

Water? When was the last time a river burned?

Land...too many options. Yes, we each need to do our part to not make things uglier, but the earth is in no danger form humans.

As for solar...I wish I could use it here. However, with less than 60% average sunny days, and a cost of appoximately twenty thousand dollars to install, it makes zero economical sense. For $20,000., I'm not sure how economical it would be in Phoenix.

I did my part to fuck the man over though...by installing a woodburning stove. I did all the work & it cost less than a grand (including a woodsplitter). I'm now polluting the air but it's all natural ;)

valkyrie

I live in a state with no emissions standards. I've lived in two with strict standards. The current one is cleaner. (landscape & environment...not CO2 output) Though, Los Angeles is one big fat fuck of a lot cleaner that it was in 1969.

Water? When was the last time a river burned?
Ocean. I used to live where I could drive to Galveston. The big cargo ships that came into Houston dump their garbage into the Gulf before coming into port to avoid having to pay for trash pick up. That's one example.

I don't think I need to say more about the Gulf given the recent turn of events.

It may be true that in the US we have eco-friendly laws that protect our rivers and streams. Take a trip south to the Amazon. Oil companies have been dumping into the rivers for decades and there are no laws there to stop them.

There are other examples around the world, mostly 3rd world countries, and I could name many. I'll give someone else a chance so I'm not the only one on the soap box. ;)
Land...too many options. Yes, we each need to do our part to not make things uglier, but the earth is in no danger form humans.
Sri Lanka, India, China (to name a few) ... environmental toxicity from dumping toxic chemicals on the land. And lets not forget our neighbors to the south... Mexico. Why are they our problem? Because, as you know, we are The World's whipping boy and open wallet.

As for solar...I wish I could use it here. However, with less than 60% average sunny days, and a cost of appoximately twenty thousand dollars to install, it makes zero economical sense. For $20,000., I'm not sure how economical it would be in Phoenix.

I did my part to fuck the man over though...by installing a woodburning stove. I did all the work & it cost less than a grand (including a woodsplitter). I'm now polluting the air but it's all natural ;)
Have you tried wind? We also read about some pretty efficient wind turbines that are even used in suburban neighborhoods. They are not as noisy as they used to be. One more way to say "fuck you" to The Man.

We used to have a wood burning stove but it was not efficient. We saw some nice ones but they used pellets making us beholden to someone else for the pellets (or making us buy a pellet maker). Blah. We may still get another wood stove but our place is so tiny that it makes little sense. We can use a little propane area heater if our electricity goes out and it heats the entire place in a snap. (We vent the gas out of the window of course.) It only gets to freezing temps here maybe 3 months out of the year. Otherwise we put on thick socks and soft, warm sweaters.