Tennessee Tea Party groups want to edit text books

spike

TTennessee Tea Parties demand textbooks contain no mean things about Founding Fathers

If they get their way, history books won't say anything about "intruding on the Indians or having slaves"
BY ALEX PAREENE

For a bunch of people who worship the Founders and like to play dress-up American Revolutionary War, Tea Partyers sure hate knowing anything remotely reality-based about the Founding Fathers. Tennessee Tea Party groups have introduced a proposal to take what few minorities there are in American history textbooks out of American history textbooks, along with any negative portrayals of the wealthy white men who led this young nation in its infancy.

At a press conference, two dozen activists presented their proposals -- I'm sorry, their "demands" -- for the new state legislative session. Among them are sweeping changes to school materials that they probably have not actually read.

Take it away, awful person:

The material calls for lawmakers to amend state laws governing school curriculums, and for textbook selection criteria to say that “No portrayal of minority experience in the history which actually occurred shall obscure the experience or contributions of the Founding Fathers, or the majority of citizens, including those who reached positions of leadership."

Fayette County attorney Hal Rounds, the group's lead spokesman during the news conference, said the group wants to address "an awful lot of made-up criticism about, for instance, the founders intruding on the Indians or having slaves or being hypocrites in one way or another."

OK, but ... I mean ... those guys did a lot of "intruding" and slave-owning, is the thing.

Meanwhile, in North Carolina, they're just openly rolling back school desegregation. (Which is, I guess, more honest than quietly rolling back school desegregation, like everywhere else in the country.)

http://www.salon.com/news/politics/...unding_fathers_tennessee_tea_party/index.html

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'd suggest not moving to Tennessee then.

Although, as I've said numerous times, don't apply 21st century morals to 18th century actions.

2minkey

bootlicker
golly, why would anyone want to suggest that any of the founding fathers were not exactly like jesus? we need our myths to support our nostalgia for an age that never existed. chimp on, brave soldiers of the official truth.

Winky

Tennessee Tea Party wants to save the nation

Ed and Rachel and Chris and Keith are here to tell you
that protesting this government takeover of the auto industry,
the financial industry, the insurance industry, the housing market
and now the nation’s health care is a wild and radical idea!

ResearchMonkey

bah, we need to spend more time teaching the history of the enemy within, the liberal progressive movement.

Expose the threat for the 100 years. God Bless America, Fuck yeah!

Winky

Tennessee Tea Party takes up arms, shot down like dogs

~
2mlisx.jpg

Winky

Tennessee Tea Party groups

“Here’s the problem: It’s almost like they’ve got—they’ve got a bomb
strapped to them and they’ve got their hand on the trigger.
You don’t want them to blow up.”

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Re: Tennessee Tea Party takes up arms, shot down like dogs

You've been losing for the last 100 years
February 3, 2013 will be the 100 year anniversary
of the sixthteenth amendment:

Don't get too hasty. A few months later, Senators became Representatives with substance (like minkey)

Gotholic

You've been losing for the last 100 years
February 3, 2013 will be the 100 year anniversary
of the sixthteenth amendment:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes,
from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States,
and without regard to any census or enumeration.

That was the beginning of the end of your noble experiment
now the time has come for a new beginning!

2mlisx.jpg

Except income was defined as "profit" by the courts. When you go work for Walmart, you are exchanging your services for monetary value. No profit. No taxes.

2minkey

bootlicker

Except income was defined as "profit" by the courts. When you go work for Walmart, you are exchanging your services for monetary value. No profit. No taxes.

please provide full citations and references.

2minkey

bootlicker
the simple answer is - both groups of people are idiots who want their moral bullshit enforced on everybody else.

i say, they can all chug it.