The bailout in perspective

jimpeel

you have no idea how arrogant those guys are, jim. and i can say that as a dee-troit insider. (guess who paid for my dissertation research? yep, the big three.) evil? not really. but deserving of the harshest criticism? absolutely.

next time, post about something you know, like your pickup truck.

And what of this part of my post?

I wonder how many times the corporations have lent those jets to lifeflight flights and organ transplant transport. Corporations do that all the time. They just don't brag about it.

2minkey

bootlicker
what about it?

ever hear of robber barons, jim?

they built universities.

they were also largely bastards in their business dealings.

bill gates has a happy happy feel good foundation.

which does little to diminish the (less recent) utter brutality in how he dealt with 'business partners.'

suggest you read 'the reckoning' by david halberstam. interesting view of arrogance and complacency in the big three.

GrandCaravanSE

what about it?

ever hear of robber barons, jim?

they built universities.

they were also largely bastards in their business dealings.

bill gates has a happy happy feel good foundation.

which does little to diminish the (less recent) utter brutality in how he dealt with 'business partners.'

suggest you read 'the reckoning' by david halberstam. interesting view of arrogance and complacency in the big three.

I love robber barons!!!

JTP

Did a survey on the campus of Ft.Valley State (an "historically black" college) and was surprised to see a building from the early 20th century named after Collis P. Huntington- seems he was a donor and supporter of that fine institution, which has graduated many a dentist, and has a top-notch agricultural program, among other things. Made me feel a little kinder towards the old railroad baron.

Cerise

Analysis: Ford CEO 'Green' Road Trip to Cost $23,000 in Lost Wages

Macke, using AAA data, determined that making the trip in the Ford Escape Hybrid it would cost $30.42 in gas, $9 for two stops for food (McDonald’s and Dunkin’ Donuts), $21.25 in tolls and an astounding $23,424.66 in lost wages for Mulally, who made $22 million last year in salary. That’s slightly higher than the $20,000 it would cost to charter a private jet according to Macke.

spike

The article fails to explain how he's going to lose the wages. That said, not many people are going to feel sorry for a CEO losing $23K in lost wages.

That's what I was thinking. Are they not going to pay him for the time he was driving? It's a salary position.

2minkey

bootlicker
The article fails to explain how he's going to lose the wages. That said, not many people are going to feel sorry for a CEO losing $23K in lost wages.

it's not the he is losing the wages, exactly, rather that his oh-so-valuable time is being spent doing something of far lesser value i.e. driving. but doing so they should at least bounce that off the cost of the time for a UAW driver, which suggests that the $3k gap between the two alternatives may disappear given that.

nah, i'm kidding. fully loaded (union wages, bennies, et cetera) prolly only costs the big 3 about $100 an hour for a driver chimp. wow. how can they not be making money?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Last I heard, the full scale benefit/pay package for UAW is $73./hr vs $42./hr for the other auto workers in the US (surprising how many foreign makers build on US Soil) vs $27./hr for the rest of us.

2minkey

bootlicker
i met a guy changing garbage bags in a chrysler assembly plant who was making $120k. with overtime, but still...

what's really great are the skilled trades guys... some of 'em don't need to do anything unless something breaks... and i'm sure you have a good idea how much coin they bring in.

and as overpaid as they all are, the biggest struggle is just getting them to show up for work.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
that, and to get them to put the cards down (hey, they MIGHT get a straight flush)

JTP

How can an archaeological field tech with a bachelor's degree make 12 bucks an hour and manage to stay out of debt, be a homeowner, a vehicle owner, pay income tax, Social Security, property tax, vehicle insurance, house insurance, health insurance, sales tax and all that and still stay in the black while these banks and lenders and automobile manufacturers stay in the red and need a Gov handout? I'd just like to know what the hell they do with their money- what are they teaching at these Business Schools these days? Basket-freaking-weaving? Does MBA really stand for Moron Bidness Arsehole? :mad4:

jimpeel

How can an archaeological field tech with a bachelor's degree make 12 bucks an hour and manage to stay out of debt, be a homeowner, a vehicle owner, pay income tax, Social Security, property tax, vehicle insurance, house insurance, health insurance, sales tax and all that and still stay in the black while these banks and lenders and automobile manufacturers stay in the red and need a Gov handout? I'd just like to know what the hell they do with their money- what are they teaching at these Business Schools these days? Basket-freaking-weaving? Does MBA really stand for Moron Bidness Arsehole? :mad4:

They learn that if they screw up the government will ramp up the presses in high gear and print as much money as needed to bail them out of their foolishness.

JTP

It's realsimple- spend wisely and within your means, never buy anything on credit, pay your bills as they come due, and never loan anyone money unless they have collateral in writing.
These Bidness and Guvmint people seem to live in some pipe-dream gambler's world where, if they borrow to the hilt and throw gobs of money at any problem that crops up, all will turn out fine and dandy in the end. People who bet on horses probably have more business sense.
REAL gamblers never bet more than they can afford to lose!