The Bible...explained

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
JERUSALEM (AFP) - High on Mount Sinai, Moses was on psychedelic drugs when he heard God deliver the Ten Commandments, an Israeli researcher claimed in a study published this week.

Such mind-altering substances formed an integral part of the religious rites of Israelites in biblical times, Benny Shanon, a professor of cognitive psychology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem wrote in the Time and Mind journal of philosophy.

"As far Moses on Mount Sinai is concerned, it was either a supernatural cosmic event, which I don't believe, or a legend, which I don't believe either, or finally, and this is very probable, an event that joined Moses and the people of Israel under the effect of narcotics," Shanon told Israeli public radio on Tuesday.

Theory number 4,023,737,208 on how the Bible is false: The Timothy Leary Explanation.

I would truly hate to have to stand in this man's place when he dies. He'll find out right quick like.

Moses was probably also on drugs when he saw the "burning bush," suggested Shanon, who said he himself has dabbled with such substances.

You don't say...who'dathunkit?

BlurOfSerenity

now you know how i feel when people say lewis carroll wrote alice in wonderland about and while on drugs :(
(and incidently, the bible is the #1 quoted literary work in the english language, and alice in wonderland is #3)

Aunty Em

Haven't you heard... science in the new God... actually around here it's shopping on Sundays... mamon is the new God.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Shopping on sundays!!

well, not everyones sabbath is on sunday, it used to actually bug me that everything was closed on sunday, but not saturday.

Aunty Em

Yeah, but you don't see people queueing to get into church do you? After all, this is a country where most people claimed to be "christian" on the last census.

2001 Census: In Great Britain, 40 million people (nearly seven in ten) described their ethnicity as White and their religion as Christian.

How many do you think actually understand what a christian really is?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Yeah, but you don't see people queueing to get into church do you? After all, this is a country where most people claimed to be "christian" on the census.

How many do you think actually understand what a christian is?

cause they fined you if you wrote JEDI under religion.