The Flying Imams

Cerise

US Air has the balls to place passenger safety above political correctness:

imams1.jpg

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/826056.html
The pilot ordered the men off the flight after their praying, conversation and behavior alarmed several passengers and flight attendants.

In a statement to police, a US Airways gate agent wrote that three of the men prayed in Arabic at the gate. "I was suspicious by the way they were praying very loud," the gate agent said.

Before passengers boarded, one became alarmed by an overheard discussion. "They seemed angry," he wrote in a police statement. "Mentioned 'U.S.' and 'killing Saddam.' Two men then swore slightly under their breath/mumbled. They spoke Arabic again. The gate called boarding for the flight. The men then chanted 'Allah, Allah, Allah.' "

Once the six were seated, two in front, two in the middle and two in back, and paid visits to each other to chat, some passengers became alarmed, the police report said. One passed a note to a flight attendant citing the alleged comments about Allah and Saddam.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/traveloutdoors/2003442495_imams22.html
Witnesses said the men prayed in the terminal and made critical comments about the Iraq war, according to the police report, and a US Airways manager said three of the men had only one-way tickets and no checked baggage.

An airport police officer and a federal air marshal agreed that the combination of circumstances was suspicious and eventually asked the men to leave the airplane, the police report said.

But wait, there's more (and, "I remain unsurprised"):

http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53057
One of six Muslim imams pulled from a US Airways flight in Minneapolis last night by federal authorities is affiliated with a Hamas-linked organization and acknowledged a connection to Osama bin Laden in the 1990s.

chcr

Too cute for words
Clearly they were staging a publicity stunt. One can hope it backfires. They went out of their way to be suspicious looking. I'd expect real terrorists to try to appear normal and nondescript, wouldn't you?

To tell the truth though, if I'd been there and they hadn't been put off the plane, I'd have gotten off.

Professur

But that's because you're racist and intollerant. The fact that being racist and intollerant is a well proven survival trait is completely besides the point.

BB

Dodos were very tolerant of me too. I pissed the lemmings off though.

*mutters ... i knew he was old but .... dancing with Dodos??? *

i'm intriguged ... just how did you piss off the lemmings? :D

BB

ah!

right into the last watering hole of the dodos below huh?

(they were too polite to notice, i guess, huh?)

well, that's one natural history mystery solved.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
One day one, they were Muslims. On day two they were Muslim Scholars. On day three they remained muslim scholars but now have ties to bin Laden & they know key words like humiliated and sensitivity training.

This was a test run to see what they could get away with. This'll be done more & more on different airliners & other modes of public travel to adjust our level of tolerance.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I haven't flown since 9/11. The restrictions are ridiculous.

OK, I'll bite. Why shouldn't I fly?

chcr

Too cute for words
One day one, they were Muslims. On day two they were Muslim Scholars. On day three they remained muslim scholars but now have ties to bin Laden & they know key words like humiliated and sensitivity training.

This was a test run to see what they could get away with. This'll be done more & more on different airliners & other modes of public travel to adjust our level of tolerance.
Interesting take, Gonz. I think it was more for terrorist recruiters to use (see, see how much they hate us?) than for our benefit. They certainly went beyond anything they might have reasonably expected to get by with. They deliberately provoked a reaction, one that most Americans (in fact, most westerners of any nationality) will find completely reasonable. If a group of Westboro Baptist jerk-offs behaved in a similar fashion I suspect they'd have received a similar reaction. It's the reaction people like this are looking for. If they were running a "test run" they'd have started with perfectly normal behavior and worked their way up until someone noticed, don't you think?

2minkey

bootlicker
If they were running a "test run" they'd have started with perfectly normal behavior and worked their way up until someone noticed, don't you think?

nope. they're prone to the dramatic, just like their domestic counterparts.