The opposite viewpoint thread

staffrodore

Here is an EXPERIMENT...

Try to debate the following topic, but from the OPPOSITE viewpoint to your own. A bit like putting yourself in someone else's shoes, and it might even be fun.

Topic for today:

"Rules should never be broken"

PrincessLissa

I used to do this in high school to anticipate what our opponate would say in debate, but it was hard then so it might be really hard now. Let me see.

Rules are put into place for a reason. They keep order and prevent chaos. They are intact to keep our morays in place and a strong belief system of moral values in our society. If you break, or even "bend" a rule slightly, it will create a slippery slope that will continue to prompt people to think of more ways to bend or break a rule and the rule will no longer exist.

That's all I have right now. It's too close to night night time for me.

Mare

staffrodore said:
Here is an EXPERIMENT...

Try to debate the following topic, but from the OPPOSITE viewpoint to your own. A bit like putting yourself in someone else's shoes, and it might even be fun.

Topic for today:

But if rules were never broken what kind of world would we live in...
For example: you leave your child home for 15 minutes while you have to run an errand real fast, you tell them, DO NOT open the door for ANYONE. Theres a fire in the house and the firemen come, but he says, I can't open the door for ANYONE... :lloyd:

Or

Your driving your wife to the hospital she is in labor, there is no cars coming and your sitting at a red light, so you decide to run it!

tank girl

Rules should never be broken because the world has been constructed by god almighty in a holy natural order and if anybody dare break any righteous rule they risk eternal damnation in the fires of hell in the throes of evil - if anybody break a rule that has been put in place they risk disturbing the precious balance of this world propelling it into certain and irreversable chaos.

:shrug:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
You can't break rules because they're made for you. People more experienced than you have created the rules that will keep you and everybody else safe and happy. Breaking rules can endanger you or someone else, or it can make you or someone else very unhappy for a multitude of reasons. We make rules to make your life better, not to be mean. If you pay attention to them and ask why they're made, they can be a good learning experience and not just a party pooper.

*broken record, every day*

IDLEchild

Rules are meant to be broken. Why shouldn't they be? It is said that there is nothing more powerful than an idea whose time has come...no rules in place can stop that, or should stop that.

Rules are made by human beings in order to obtain civility over other human beings who are comfortably numb and happy in letting a few lead their lives and letting themselves become followers to a mostly faceless system which mocks them under the guise of civility...if one of the sheeps can shed its skin to bare the claws of a wolf who seeks justice and change then no ficitious rouge of hypocritical law can stop that. Freedom and the will to survive are two of the strongest urges known to man....

...no man made institution can stop natural hunger and if the hunger grows day by day in belly of the opressed due to the severity of man's tyranny hidden under their own law, then no house of law should stand firm, built, on top of foundations of cruelty and fear of those who it is meant to serve.

Let the foundations crumble and let the masses be given the fire to destroy and forge anew. Rules will always be meant to be broken...and people will always need the men and women who dare break them.

Winky

unclehobart said:
Freako is drug free, wears 3 piece suits, and is a good Catholic.

Unc wears his hair in a crewcut,
attends church every Sunday religiously and is soon to marry his roomie.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
staffrodore said:
Here is an EXPERIMENT...

Topic for today:

There is no conceivable circumstance in which a rule should be broken. If rules are not followed by society, the end result is chaos. Rules are put in place to protect the members of a population from unsafe behavior; therefore any deviation from the rules of a given society can only result in the victimization of some person or party. No exceptions.

Example: "I was speeding because my wife is in labor and I must get her to the hospital quickly." A valid argument on the surface. However...

1. That is why we as taxpayers fund vehicles with flashine lights and sirens. utilize them.

2. Suppose you get driving faster than you can handle, resulting in a traffic accident. You may end up injuring or killing your wife, your self, the baby, or an innocent third party with whom your vehicle collides. Can you then justify your breaking the speed limit despite the fact that your willful actions cost another person their life?

Therefore, I conclude that any breaking of a rule is unacceptable in any circumstance.

Professur

SouthernN'Proud said:
There is no conceivable circumstance in which a rule should be broken. If rules are not followed by society, the end result is chaos. Rules are put in place to protect the members of a population from unsafe behavior; therefore any deviation from the rules of a given society can only result in the victimization of some person or party. No exceptions.

Example: "I was speeding because my wife is in labor and I must get her to the hospital quickly." A valid argument on the surface. However...

1. That is why we as taxpayers fund vehicles with flashine lights and sirens. utilize them.

2. Suppose you get driving faster than you can handle, resulting in a traffic accident. You may end up injuring or killing your wife, your self, the baby, or an innocent third party with whom your vehicle collides. Can you then justify your breaking the speed limit despite the fact that your willful actions cost another person their life?

Therefore, I conclude that any breaking of a rule is unacceptable in any circumstance.

My brother died waiting on an ambulance. If someone had had the wherewithall to chuck him into the back of a car and gun it to the hospital, he might possibly still be a pain in my ass, instead of a memory in my past.

Professur

I just did. He was dead the moment he hit the water. Rocketting down that road would only have resulted in more dead people.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
OK boys and girls, let's try a different topic. Remember, argue the point of view that you personally would not normally hold.

Most useful learning occurs through observation, not experience.

Mare

SouthernN'Proud said:
Most useful learning occurs through observation, not experience.

Then it would read like this to me....Most useful learning occurs through experience, not observation.....because I think as a small child they learn through observing what they hear, see, smell, think... not through experience...BUT, as an adult you learn through experience, then you sit back and observe. :confused: :lloyd: :nerd: