"the Passion of the Christ", as seen, experienced, discussed, and reviewed by me:

BlurOfSerenity

(there may potentially be spoilers in this, depending on what you consider a spoiler)

i saw the movie, The Passion of the Christ.
a ton of kids from my youth group were there, the plan was to see the film and then go to the youth group's building after for pizza and talk.

but, the movie...
wow.
just... wow.
i was very touched/stunned/shocked/amazed/scared/moved by it.
not necessarily as a being of any religion, but actually and morely as a human.
just seeing this man, this man who had really committed no crime, being beat and flogged and scourged, and spit on and kicked and punched and jeered at, and generally abused and humiliated, and so graphically...
i cried, yes.
but i reacted to this film in a way i had never reacted to any other:
i sobbed. vocally, and audibly.
especially when they drove the nails into him on the cross.
it was very, very intense.

it is true, that in general, i am very empathetic, and visual and easily disturbed and affected by things i see.
but this just.. it crawled into me.

after the movie, we went to the warehouse, aka the youth group place, and ate pizza, and then discussed what we'd seen.
i was very active in this discussion; one of the most involved participants, as was my friend Colin, who was the one who informed me of this night to begin with. i had a lot of questions, and even some answers.
there's so many ways to interpret things in this movie. was it a maggot, or was it the snakes tail in satans nose, if that was in fact satan? the antichrist, or a mockery of jesus himself? a lamb, or a donkey? (the general consensus on that was donkey, but it did leave you to wonder)... and the sound of flies, possibly a reference to one of satan's many names? among other many questions...
i found it odd, tho... that almost no one else had any reaction to, or even recollection OF, Mary staring deeply into all of our eyes. i was half squirming when she did that. nearly all the others had a "huh?" reaction, as i recall.

in fact, the movie had a physical effect on me: i clenched my teeth and ground them while watching the movie, in reaction to nervousness/fear,
and my jaw locked up,
.... and, nearly 10 hours later, it is STILL locked up.

it was less of a movie and more of an experience.

BlurOfSerenity

my jaw is still locked up, 21 hours later.
as my jaw's never stayed locked for this long (i have TMJ), i think it's an effect of what i'd seen last night. something's definitely turning in my head.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Sounds cool....I'm awaiting momma telling me it's time :D

Gotta love married life

BeardofPants

Man, it was a pain watching. Here I was, trying to enjoy my popcorn, and watch the movie, and I was surrounded by little old ladies 'audibly crying'. Goddamit people. didn't you learn to cry quietly?! :grumpy:

:p