The Passion of the Christ

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Rush said:
“We're only into our second day of showing 'The Passion,' but I want to know where the bands of hateful Christians roving the streets of America wreaking havoc and violence on the innocent and harmless people are."

chcr

Too cute for words
You ever see more hype surrounding the opening of a movie in your life? Mel Gibson may be a genius I wonder if he started the anti-semite rumors himself, knowing what the knee-jerk reaction would be (from both sides).

Ms Ann Thrope

chcr said:
You ever see more hype surrounding the opening of a movie in your life? Mel Gibson may be a genius I wonder if he started the anti-semite rumors himself, knowing what the knee-jerk reaction would be (from both sides).

think his father's on his payroll? :rofl:

nalani

this entire thread is the very reason I am a Religious Studies major.

leave the name calling alone, y'all .. if you don't appreciate the storyline of the movie, don't watch it. If all you can do is appreciate the direction, acting and artistry of the movie, that's great. But for the sake of maturity, leave the name calling alone.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Initially yea, I thought that. Then I began reading the vitriolic pus pouring from the mouths & keyboards of those who think he's a danger to society for making a movie about a religious figure.

chcr

Too cute for words
See, I just think it's another movie about another story. I understand all the emotion, I guess, but I'll bet the majority of people (jews, christians and others) don't seriously believe all the vitriol. It is after all, the land of the professionally offended.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The people generally don't believe it, I'm convinced of that. It's the anti-christians that are being so vile.

Kevin76

I will be going to see it next weekend, waiting for the first weekend hype to die down.. I want to see it because it looks like a beautifully directed film and the cinematography looks excellent and the story is also very good. Overall I think this will be a very good film and I believe I will enjoy watching it or 'experiencing' it.. I guess I'll see :)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Good bad or otherwise, I wanna know if I can still get in on the ground floor

Total as of Feb. 27, 2004: $64,578,000 (Estimate)
Distributor: Newmarket Release Date: February 25, 2004
Running Time: 2 hrs. 6 min. Production Budget: $30 million
MPAA Rating: R Est. Marketing Costs: $15 million

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Chi Sun Times said:
PARIS -- French cinema chains are refusing to distribute or screen Mel Gibson's controversial film "The Passion of the Christ" because of fears it will spark a new outbreak of anti-Semitism.

I'm sure he'll live

5 day estimate is now
$117,538,000.

Ms Ann Thrope

5 day estimate is now $117,538,000.

anyone know what percentage of that is from church groups and Christians? haven't been able to find any info on that, but someone out there must be keeping track, no?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Not likely. They can esitmate churchgroups (most of Wednesdays sales) but not Christians. If they did they'd need to estimate the no. of Christians at, say, Jason vs Freddie.

Ms Ann Thrope

Gonz said:
Not likely. They can esitmate churchgroups (most of Wednesdays sales) but not Christians. If they did they'd need to estimate the no. of Christians at, say, Jason vs Freddie.
I understand that, but I'm still guessing that someone out there has been polling people entering or exiting theaters. :shrug:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Well, since something like 95% of Americans claim to be at least somewhat religious & we're mostly Christian...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
IDLEchild said:
Every chance people get to showcase their stupidity and absurd notions...every chance...they just work it to the hills.

Its a fucking movie about a fictional character who has yet to be proved that he existed. A fucking movie....are peoples beliefes resting on such weak foundations that a celluloid puts them at unease and at war of words to defend their "faith"?...fucking pathetic.

If you believe in god and Jesus then show your strength and be the bigger person by not losing face trying to defend your feeble beliefs...if Jesus is such a influence on you then why the fuck do you care about trying to prove people wrong, it is your personal faith that should be strong to you, others opinions should not be factor of anger.

It is not the supposed defacing of a race that incites people to respond to this movie..it is their own weakness and futile "faith" that gets them nowhere. It is their laughable faith which is more about being a fearful follower for hope and a peace of mind rather than a whole person.

Evere chance they get...every chance.

Having a bad day, BCD? I think you need to calm down a bit and re-assess your comments.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Good for Mel

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" took in $51.4 million in its second weekend to remain the top movie, racing past the $200 million mark in just 12 days.

IDLEchild

Gato_Solo said:
Having a bad day, BCD? I think you need to calm down a bit and re-assess your comments.

Not a bad day, just a bad view of humanity fueled by the idiocy.

Re-assess my comments? why? I see no need to. Why do I not see some of the intelligible religious people around me get excited in a fit of rage about the movie...because sensibility gets the better of their judgement. They can understand that religion is a belief and that it can be stand to questioned.

While I do not question the benefits of religion I doubt many of its followers. I have friends who put on a grim face and a death tone when I even mention the name...why? Do they not see the childishness of doing so? Its a movie...an interpetation, nothing more.

While one can argue this movie only focuses of the most brutal part of Jesus's life and almost simply for the violence and gore to create shock it is still Mel's movie.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
DVD update

Released today.
Bought today

Fucking impressed. Very powerful movie, even for we non-believers.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
No. I don't disbelieve either. It's the one area I've yet to firmly convince myself either way.

I don't dis what I don't know however ;)