The Realm of Historic Triviality

HeXp£Øi±

history2.gif

If anyone's interested in this...i'd like to make it somewhat like the movie thread but on a 24 hour cycle where in the first 12hrs you may not google but for the 2nd 12 you may in case the question is to difficult. I'm open to changing the rules on this also but i'd like it to be somewhat challanging and educational.

HeXp£Øi±

I'll start off with an easy one.

In 1899 this war corrospondent led a daring escape from a POW camp in Africa.
Decades later he would go on to become an inspirational leader of his country.

Jeslek

Banned
HeXp£Øi± said:
I'll start off with an easy one.

In 1899 this war corrospondent led a daring escape from a POW camp in Africa.
Decades later he would go on to become an inspirational leader of his country.
:D OK, being from South Africa, this sounds to me like Winston Churchill, but I'm guessing. My knowledge of 1899 isn't very extensive. All I know is he made war against my ancestors. In fact, the British won by killing off the women and children, thus discouraging the men to fight.

Alright, my question... I'm talking about a man. His father was King Philip the II, and he died shortly after his thirty-third birthday. This man's kingdom was one of the biggest in the world, and after his death was divided among four generals. Name one of the four generals.

Jeslek

Banned
Ardsgaine said:
You got it right, so start a question. Or, if you don't want to, I've got another one... :p

In the year 330, this Roman emperor renamed a city after himself. This emperor also had his soldiers wear Christian monograms on their shields in battle. Later on, the name of the city was changed again, again, and one last time. Whats the city called today, and in what country is it located?

Ardsgaine

LastLegionary said:
Ardsgaine said:
You got it right, so start a question. Or, if you don't want to, I've got another one... :p

In the year 330, this Roman emperor renamed a city after himself. This emperor also had his soldiers wear Christian monograms on their shields in battle. Later on, the name of the city was changed again, again, and one last time. Whats the city called today, and in what country is it located?

I did want to, but the name of the city is Constantinople. It was then renamed Byzantium, and is now Istanbul. Does this mean I get to ask two questions? :p

My question:

Contemplating the invasion of his neighbor, he consulted the Oracle at Delphi and was told that if he crossed the River Halys a great kingdom would be destroyed. He crossed the river, and sure enough, his kingdom was destroyed.

Jeslek

Banned
Ardsgaine said:
Does this mean I get to ask two questions? :p
Um sure :D

Contemplating the invasion of his neighbor, he consulted the Oracle at Delphi and was told that if he crossed the River Halys a great kingdom would be destroyed. He crossed the river, and sure enough, his kingdom was destroyed.
Shit, this isn't an easy one. In fact, I don't know. I know where the Halys river is, but I don't know the name of the guy that crossed it. I know OF the story, but not the details... :(

Ardsgaine

LastLegionary said:
Shit, this isn't an easy one. In fact, I don't know. I know where the Halys river is, but I don't know the name of the guy that crossed it. I know OF the story, but not the details... :(

Don't feel bad. I had to double check the name, and I had just read the story a few weeks ago.

Since it's been twelve hours, here's a hint to help before you Google: He was very rich.

Jeslek

Banned
Croesus

Assuming I'm correct... Who was the first European to reach the East by sailing around Africa?

Aunty Em

Bartolomeo Dias in 14 something or other.

And Vasco de Gama was the first european to sail to India.

Jeslek

Banned
Aunty Em said:
Bartolomeo Dias in 14 something or other.

And Vasco de Gama was the first european to sail to India.
Wrong. Bartholomew Diaz never reached the east beause of mutany. However, you were right that Vasco da Gama was the first European to reach India, and incidently, the East.

Aunty Em

It was a long time ago, I get confused. ;)

My question:

Colchester(Camulodunum) was the first Roman capital of Britain. Colchester Castle(Norman) was built on the foundations of a temple that was sacked in AD60. To whom was the temple dedicated?

Attachment(s):

castle2.jpg, 23.59kb

246_1037126714.jpg

Jeslek

Banned
Aunty Em said:
It was a long time ago, I get confused. ;)

My question:

Colchester(Camulodunum) was the first Roman capital of Britain. Colchester Castle(Norman) was built on the foundations of a temple that was sacked in AD60. To whom was the temple dedicated?
It was built and dedicated to Emperor Claudius himself.

My question... Emperor Montezuma was ruler of which empire?