The Realm of Historic Triviality

Ardsgaine

Aunty Em said:
Ardsgaine said:
Aunty Em said:
In egyptian history, whose reign is known as the Amarnan Period?

Akhenaten?

Otherwise known as Amunhetep IV. But why was it called the Amarnan Period?

I believe it was because he moved the capital to Amarna, but I don't think the city was called that then. They moved it back after Tut's death, but I don't recall if the capital was Memphis or Thebes at that time. One or the other...

Aunty Em

Ardsgaine said:
I believe it was because he moved the capital to Amarna, but I don't think the city was called that then. They moved it back after Tut's death, but I don't recall if the capital was Memphis or Thebes at that time. One or the other...

The capital was Thebes at the time. Amunhetep IV converted to monotheism - the worship of the Aten or sun god - changed his name to Akhetaten and built the city of Amarna. It is now called Tel el-Amarna and the only things left are the ruins beneath the sands. Nefertitti was his wife - Tutankaten (later - amun) was his nephew. The period is sometimes known as the Amarnan Heresy.

Ardsgaine

Perhaps the oldest written story, this epic comes to us from Sumeria. What is the title, and what was the name of the hero's friend?

Aunty Em

Well I know of the Enuma Elish but I don't know if it's the oldest. I do know it's a creation myth and that the King Gilgamesh is in there somewhere along with Marduk and some of the other gods, but that's as far as my knowledge extends. It's probably wrong anyway.

Ardsgaine

[quote="Aunty Em]It's probably wrong anyway.[/quote]

Very warm.

I'll give a little more time to others to weigh in before I start giving hints.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Is it Homer? The Odyssey? I don't have a clue what his friends name was though, I'd remember if I heard the name.

Aunty Em

PuterTutor said:
Is it Homer? The Odyssey? I don't have a clue what his friends name was though, I'd remember if I heard the name.

That's Greek not Sumerian and it's way too young.

Very warm.

I only remembered the name 'cos it sounds like enema. I certainly never read it, but it's the only sumerian text I know off. I came across it briefly when I was reading up on ancient gods, but as I was looking for earth goddesses I didn't stop to look.

Ardsgaine

I think I'll go ahead and give the answer rather than torturing you guys with it. It's The Epic of Gilgamesh, and his friend's name was Enkidu. Aunty Em, you were the closest, so why don't you take the next one? :)

Aunty Em

OK. Looks like I shall have to go and learn more about it. I've just got in and installed the new cables, so I'm thinking...

Ardsgaine

Here's an online version. I've only read portions of the original. I bought a set of three books for Anna written and illustrated by Ludmilla Zeman that retell the story for children. I don't recall how old you said your daughter is, but she might like them. They were an interesting read.

Aunty Em

Thanks, I shall have a good read. :)

Surprise, surprise, they despatched my philosophy book today. I should get it within the next few days. :)

Ardsgaine

Aunty Em said:
Ok, a fairly easy one - How long did the Hundred Years War actually last?

*resists the temptation to go look it up*

If it didn't last 100 yrs, then I guess I don't know. :(

*fails the temptation and looks it up...*

Oh. I'll be darned. :)

Ardsgaine

Yeah. US schools suck when it comes to world history. Most of what I know on the subject I learned on my own. :eh: