The Realm of Historic Triviality

ris

i'm not good on the dates but i seem to recall that it was never a single conflict, instead a series of battles and conflicts between england and france. it think the dates depend on which houses you follow, how much politics you include in 'battle' and the like.

it was under a hundred years at any rate, if memory serves.

Aunty Em

I did consider asking a question on the American Civil War but thought that would be too easy. Most of the history I know I've learnt on my own too, but Army schools are or were better for history and geography that civilian ones anyway.

So is dressing up in period costume and re-enacting battles. My Brother Andy was a confederate for a couple of years, and both my brothers and myself were Vikings for several years. In fact my brother Ivor recreats weapons and clothing from the Viking period using authentic materials and methods. He mostly works for museums these days as they're just too expensive for most individuals to buy. His reconstruction of the Sutton Hoo Helmet is almost better than the real thing. :)

Ardsgaine

Aunty Em said:
I did consider asking a question on the American Civil War but thought that would be too easy.

Easy for us Yanks, but how much do British school children learn about our civil war. They have several of their own to worry about.

I guess you can save it for next time. Maybe I'll actually have a clue. :)

HeXp£Øi±

To which hundred years war are you referring, there was more than one. I gather we're not talking about the Arab Israeli conflict?

Ardsgaine

Aunty Em said:
So is dressing up in period costume and re-enacting battles. My Brother Andy was a confederate for a couple of years, and both my brothers and myself were Vikings for several years. In fact my brother Ivor recreats weapons and clothing from the Viking period using authentic materials and methods. He mostly wors for museums these days as they're just too expensive for most individuals to buy. His reconstruction of the Sutton Hoo Helmet is almost better than the real thing. :)

Ah! I missed this paragraph the first time.

I've never done any re-enactments. I've been to a few Highland festivals where they sell period costumes and weapons. I like the idea of owning something like that, but not if I actually have to pay for it. :p The only replica weapon I own is a .50 cal Hawken that I bought when I was 16 for blackpowder hunting.

Aunty Em

I was a shieldmaiden - I used to have the lot, made-to-measure - helmet, plated leather body armour, sword, axe, shield, longbow and staff. I gave up fighting when I did my leg in in a motorcycle accident, but still went along as one of the village women for a while but it wasn't the same. We had to practice battle drills twice a week. It was fun, quite an adrenalin rush.

You need to be fit to run around in 40 lbs of armour. We were called The Norse Film & Pageant Society - now known as Regia Angalorum - I think that's how you spell it. We got in a few films as extras.

Aunty Em

To which hundred years war are you referring, there was more than one. I gather we're not talking about the Arab Israeli conflict?

Sorry I missed this and I've been very busy today :( - the one between the French and English that began in 1336.

Ardsgaine

Aunty Em said:
*Sigh* I can see I'm not getting anywhere with this .:rolleyes:

1453. ;)

Hehehe. Well, the rules of the game allow us to google after 12 hours. I think it's been 12 hrs now, so I'll go ahead and give the answer. According to your dates, it would be 117 yrs. The dates I found in The OXford Illustrated History of Britain put the beginning date at 1337, which would have made it 116 yrs. :shrug: Pick either one. :)

Aunty Em

My source said 1336 but I suppose it depends on whether it was the beginning or the end of the year so I won't quibble over I year. :)

Ardsgaine

Since I had to look up the answer, I'll make my question easier:

This man is often referred to as the Gadfly of Athens. The Athenians finally swatted him by having him drink hemlock in 399 BC. Who was he?

:)

Aunty Em

I know who it was but I'm not going to say unless nobody else can answer it 'cos I think someone else should have a go. :)