The Realm of Historic Triviality

Aunty Em

OK - we know Alexander The Great ordered the city of Alexandria (Egypt) to be built in 332-331 BC, but who designed it and what was his nationality?

I bet ris knows this one. :)

ris

ris has a fair idea it's ptolemies but my guess at nationality would either be egyptian [my history knowledge isn't too brilliant on those sorts of things]

Ardsgaine

I couldn't come up with the answer, so I cheated. It turned out to be someone who's name I've never heard before in my life. *sigh*

Aunty Em

ris said:
ris has a fair idea it's ptolemies but my guess at nationality would either be egyptian [my history knowledge isn't too brilliant on those sorts of things]

I'm disappointed. :( I thought you would know being an architect. A clue - he was a greek. :)

ris

Aunty Em said:
ris said:

I'm disappointed. :( I thought you would know being an architect. A clue - he was a greek. :)

i checked my big-ol' history book after all this passed and while i got the name wrong i got the country of origin thing right. bear in mind that my big old history book is the only one i have and doesn't have his name at all. we only did one course on architectural history and that was only on western architecture [greek onwards] and it was 7 years ago.

just be glad i got anywhere near, i'm a c20th archi boy :)

Aunty Em

ris said:
i checked my big-ol' history book after all this passed and while i got the name wrong i got the country of origin thing right. bear in mind that my big old history book is the only one i have and doesn't have his name at all. we only did one course on architectural history and that was only on western architecture [greek onwards] and it was 7 years ago.

just be glad i got anywhere near, i'm a c20th archi boy :)

Well lets face it ris it's historical trivia anyway - I wouldn't have known if I hadn't taken Alixandria as my middle name years ago. It's always good to know who built the thing you've named yourself after. ;)

Aunty Em

HeXp£Øi± said:
How was it that in 1917 General Allenby took Jerusalem without firing a shot?

I was under the impression that it fell after a day of fighting which began on 8 Dec, but that Allenby didn't enter the city until 11 Dec on foot, 2 weeks before his Christmas deadline. I presume you say that's why there were no shots fired.

HeXp£Øi±

Leaflets were dropped from planes which contained text that caused horror among the population causing them to flee. What was written on the leaflets, anyone?