This day in History

Professur

On this day, in 1980, John Lennon, former Beatle, husband of Yoko, father to Julian and sean was murdered.

Well, john, you might have been bigger then Jesus, but I think he's got you beat with that "coming back from the dead" thing

chcr

Too cute for words
abooja said:
Today's also the day of the Immaculate Conception.

If you're into that sort of thing.
And yet he was born in March and we celebrate his birthday in December. :shrug:

unclehobart

Well... the whole Christmas dodge was just a celebration at shortest days of the year and rejoice that they were getting longer... at least it applies in the northern hempishere. The southern hempisphere has no say so. YOU HEAR THAT SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE?!! mwahaahhaahaha

unclehobart

Well... if you want to get persnickity...

When he was born the term 'march' probably didn't even exist yet. Where he was supposedly born would have probably been working from the old Persian calendar. That means he was probably born in Haurvatat.

chcr

Too cute for words
unclehobart said:
Well... if you want to get persnickity...

When he was born the term 'march' probably didn't even exist yet. Where he was supposedly born would have probably been working from the old Persian calendar. That means he was probably born in Haurvatat.

Well, if I could be arsed to go into the library when I get home, I could dig out the book that explains how you get from the Hebrew calender (that's where the one I got it from starts) through the various permutations of the Julian calender to the current version and thus to March, but I'm probably entirely too lazy (and I'm not even sure the book is there, might be in the attic). :shrug:

unclehobart

The Hebrew calendar is the annual calendar used in Judaism. Like the Chinese calendar, it is also a lunisolar calendar, based upon both lunar months and a solar cycle (which defines its years). This is in contrast to the Gregorian calendar, which is based solely upon a solar cycle, or the Islamic calendar, which is purely lunar.

Jews use this calendar to determine when the new Hebrew months start; this calendar determines the Jewish holidays, which Torah portions to read, Jahrzeits, and which set of Psalms should be read each day.

Jews have been using a lunisolar calendar since Biblical times, but originally referred to the months by number rather than name. During the Babylonian exile, they adopted Babylonian names for the months. Some sects, such as the Essenes, used a solar calendar.

The beginning of each Hebrew year used to be decided by observing the growth of barley, and the beginning of each lunar month used to be decided by observing the moon (in case of cloudy skies, by guessing); the latter method is still in use by a minority of Muslim nations even today, for the Islamic calendar. The beginning of each Hebrew month had been decided in Israel and the information was transfered by torches to the main diaspora areas in Babylonia (now Iraq) and Egypt.

The observation-independent Hebrew calendar described hereafter was set in Babylonia sometime in the 4th century. The change was probably performed by a council of sages headed by Shmuel hakatan.

ugh... ok... the Hebrew calendar wasn't happening until the 4th century. This means there is a waffling area where it could have been a solar cycle instead of empirical dates... unless they used the islamic lunar at that time.

This is turing out to be a pain.

unclehobart

Dionysius Exiguus attempted to pinpoint the year of Jesus's birth, which resulted in our current calendar system. According to his calculations, Jesus was born in December of the year 1 BC. However, based on a lunar eclipse that Josephus reports shortly before the death of Herod the Great, the birth of Christ must have been at some time before the year 4 BC, probably 5 or 6 BC. Allowing for the time of the procuratorship of Pontius Pilate and the dates of the Passover in those years, his death can be placed most probably in AD 30 or AD 33, and his birth was probably not in December, since based on the accounts of the shepherds and parts of the gospels, the time of year depicted was in spring or summer. This was changed by the Romans who celebrated the festival of Apollo from December 22nd for three days. They wanted to celebrate the coming of the Saviour along with the festival. Further, the Jews followed the Lunar calendar with phases of the moon as dates. So the exact date in a solar calendar is difficult to predict.

Aha... The reasoning for the December xmas bruhaha.

unclehobart

2. Jesus birth:
Let us suppose January 7th, 7BC

If this is a Julian date, as it should be, it would be January 5th, 6BC Gregorian, or 7th of Shevat 3754 Jewish, and Wednesday. If it was the year 8 BC, the day of week would be Tuesday.

If it is a Gregorian date, we know that the Gregorian Calendar exactly repeats every 400 years. So the year 2001 is exactly equal to the year 1. the year 7 BC would be equal to the year 1994 (as 0 is missing you could express 7BC also as -6, the year 2000 is equal to the year 1 BC)

January 7th, 1994 was a Friday, and so was January 7th, 7 BC (Gregorian). If it was the year 8 BC, the day of week would be Thursday.
January?! ... man... theres a different date for every half-baked site on the web.

chcr

Too cute for words
Ahh, but Josephus places Jesus' birth shortly before the death of Herod. Herod supposedly died shortly after The lunar eclipse of March 11, 4BC or the 5th of Nisan, 3756 (astronomical events are one of the few things it's possible to date accurately). Other scholars using other methods place the date anywhere up to forty years prior, but many agree it was March or Nisan.

unc said:
January?! ... man... theres a different date for every half-baked site on the web.

Even before the web, there are a thousand theories (I've only read on the order of twenty or so myself). Is one more plausible than another? I find it much easier to belive the whole business is a myth. :shrug:

Aha... The reasoning for the December xmas bruhaha.

Because Constantine wanted it that way. ;)