This day in history.....

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Mare said:
May 16th

1975: Japanese mountaineer Junko Tabei is the first woman to climb to the top of Mount Everest, the world's highest mountain.

Immediately upon the completion of his ascent, Tabei was overheard to say the immortal words, "Damn, I can see my house from here..."

chcr

Too cute for words
SouthernN'Proud said:
Immediately upon the completion of his ascent, Tabei was overheard to say the immortal words, "Damn, I can see my house from here..."
Japanese redneck?

Inkara1

I would love to see a 1975 Chevy Stepside with mud-bog tires, a gun rack and the Rebel Flag driving around downtown Tokyo. :D

Lopan

Inkara1 said:
So what are you going to do once this thread's been around for a year?

I know this may sound wacky, but bear with me. Ive heard that there may be sites that have "this day in history" that isn't 80% American history. Crazy I know. :devious:

Winky

America is all the history there is.
We are the past, present and future.

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image; make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to the outer limits.

Winky

heh that's like calling Microsoft a minor player in the
'puter biz
or the internet (an Algore invention) an incremental improvement or...

by the way

They don't call it "Great Britain" anymore, heh

Hail Britainia Britaina rules the waves...

Man you guys kicked some serious arse in the Falklands huh?

Lopan

Winky said:
heh that's like calling Microsoft a minor player in the
'puter biz
or the internet (an Algore invention) an incremental improvement or...

by the way

They don't call it "Great Britain" anymore, heh

Hail Britainia Britaina rules the waves...

Man you guys kicked some serious arse in the Falklands huh?

Thought Sir Tim Berners Lee invented the internet. We won the Falklands, and lets face it if you're going to have a war its better to win than have to run away as the communist tanks roll into the grounds of your embassy.

I think as far as history goes you should pipe down. You kinda run out after a few hundred years.

Mare

May 17th

1792: A group of brokers meeting at a coffee house in New York City organize the New York Stock Exchange. The first transactions are made under a tree on Wall Street.

1875: The first Kentucky Derby is held at Churchill Downs, Kentucky; racehorse Aristides is the winner.

1954: The U.S. Supreme Court reverses an 1896 ruling that education should be "separate but equal," ruling that racial segregation in schools is unconstitutional.

1973: The U.S. Senate committee investigating Watergate begins its televised proceedings; allegations of wrongdoing in the affair lead to President Richard Nixon's resignation.

Winky

That my Limey antagonist was good, Touché!

Well at least you stood with us all through
the cold war and joined us on our recent
happy little jaunt to the Mid-East.

We may be short on history
but we will certainly write the foreseeable future!

Lopan

One should never bet on foreseeable future. The man who said "The sun never sets on the British Empire" was quite wrong 40 years later.

Although to have an Empire where it is daylight somewhere at any given time is quite big.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Mare said:
May 17th

1954: The U.S. Supreme Court reverses an 1896 ruling that education should be "separate but equal," ruling that racial segregation in schools is unconstitutional.

1955: The races began segregating themselves voluntarily, leading to forced busing and integration in the 1970s.

chcr

Too cute for words
Inkara1 said:
I would love to see a 1975 Chevy Stepside with mud-bog tires, a gun rack and the Rebel Flag driving around downtown Tokyo. :D
Real rednecks drive pickups with long, wide beds. This increases the intervals between having to back up at high speed and slam on the brakes with the tailgate down. ;)

Starya

1814 Norway's constitution was signed in the town of Eidsvoll.

The day is often referred to as the "children's day, the celebration usually puts the kids in focus, starting with parades, then we bring on the hot dogs, soda, ice cream, games and whatnot.

flaggbarn.jpg

I shouldn't have had that last brownie. *burps*

Professur

chcr said:
Real rednecks drive pickups with long, wide beds. This increases the intervals between having to back up at high speed and slam on the brakes with the tailgate down. ;)

Rule number one in dealing with rednecks. Never mention the words house and hunting in the same sentence.

Inkara1

Lopan said:
One should never bet on foreseeable future. The man who said "The sun never sets on the British Empire" was quite wrong 40 years later.
Q: Why does the sun never set on the English Empire?

A: Even God doesn't trust the English in the dark. :D