This'll make you afraid to boil water.

Camelyn

AnomalousEntity said:
Heck, a regular coke can dissolve a human tooth or a nail, so I reckon a little fly action is ok.

Bah!

Urban Legend

Once had a friend try to convince me, despite my protests and supporting hard facts, that this was true...so we got this nail, and some coke... :D

IDLEchild

Camelyn said:
Bah!

Urban Legend

Once had a friend try to convince me, despite my protests and supporting hard facts, that this was true...so we got this nail, and some coke... :D

Over extended use the carbonated water and the acidity of it will break down the enamel.....and take away the density of your bones...but to really let that affect you, you must be very calcium deficient.

Camelyn

Buttcrackdivine said:
Over extended use the carbonated water and the acidity of it will break down the enamel.....and take away the density of your bones...but to really let that affect you, you must be very calcium deficient.

Carbonated water is water that is infused with carbon dioxide. We exhale carbon dioxide. It has absolutely no damaging effect on your teeth.

The pH of carbonated drinks is about 4 ish, approximately the same pH as an apple, or even bluberries. Cranberry juice has a pH of just above 2. Your stomach pH is 1 to 2.

Human tooth enamel can repair itself.

/science geek ;) :D

AnomalousEntity

Hmmm

Very intresting. I dont think I have ever read it in any text, but it was given in a lecture in college physiology.

Hard to believe that he would throw out an "urban legend" as fact in the middle of a lecture on the digestive system?? :confused:

I never implied the carbonated water had anything to do with it, I was referring to the acidity.

Seems like the PH of coke is lower than 4 but even at that level its still pretty much an acid any way you cut it.

I think 2.5 is the level at which it officially gets the classification of "toxic waste".

The link you referred to is from the coca-cola company and is of no real value at all. Even in the link it states this is true.

Coca-Cola contains acids (such as citric acid and phosphoric acid) which will eventually dissolve items such as teeth (given enough time),

Please re-read my post above. I NEVER SAID IT WOULD DO IT OVER NIGHT. The fact is it will do it over time.

They are trying to dispute the MYTH that coke will harm the digestive tract in general.

Actually this is not true because the acids in your stomach have an even lower PH than a coke! (and this is the REAL REASON why its not harmful) The digestive properties of saliva are also quite powerful compared to a coke (and its true that you dont hold the coke in your mouth very long). Over time, people who continuously "sip coke" all day long (like I do), do see a tremendous increase in tooth and gum problems though.

AnomalousEntity

And also if you will refer to my post above you will see the topic at hand was really the strenght of the ACIDS IN YOUR STOMACH the coke thing was just thrown in there for illustration.

Like Camelyn stated, the stomach acid is at 1-2 ph, and can not only dissolve teeth and nails (overtime) but the majority of insects and bacteria dont stand a chance in hell of surviving in there. (minus those causing ceretain food poisions).

The acids in your stomach are so strong, that people who aspirate stomach contents into their lungs get severe damage to the trachea and bronchus in a very short time. The common procedure is to insert a bronchoscope down the trachea and aspirate out as much of the contents as possible. Even then the person usually gets a severe infection (aspiration pneumonia). Some times they have a horrible reaction when the body itself attacks the "foreign material" in the lungs that has infiltrated the tissue resulting in a kinda "auto immune" situation. The patient ends up with ARDS (adult respiratory distress syndrome) and can easily die. With ARDS the lungs become almost "rock hard" and severly inflammed, and edematous. If left unchecked, it can even lead to systemic septicemia. (total body/blood infection).

Camelyn

AnomalousEntity said:
Please re-read my post above. I NEVER SAID IT WOULD DO IT OVER NIGHT. The fact is it will do it over time..

I never said you said it would do it overnight :). I would suspect that dissolving a tooth in coke over time would have more to to with bacterial action, since a tooth is an organic substance, that it would with the acidity of the coke. (I'm just guessing here though). That, combined with possible de-calcification due to the acidity. But hell, you could do that with almost any beverage with a slight acidity and a high sugar cntent, including most fruit juices. :) The implication is that coke is somehow more corrosive than these other liquids, which is what I was trying to debunk.

AnomalousEntity said:
Actually this is not true because the acids in your stomach have an even lower PH than a coke! (and this is the REAL REASON why its not harmful)

Erm, I think I pointed that out. Posted the pH of the stomach.

AnomalousEntity said:
The digestive properties of saliva are also quite powerful compared to a coke (and its true that you dont hold the coke in your mouth very long). Over time, people who continuously "sip coke" all day long (like I do), do see a tremendous increase in tooth and gum problems though.

Kinda the point I was shooting for. And I would suspect that the tooth decay was due more to the sugar content in coke than the acidity. Same reason not to give your kids juice or milk at night. Since the production of saliva is very decreased over night, milk or juice left in the mouth provides a sugar source that will be a feast for the tooth decay bacteria.

IDLEchild

Camelyn said:
Carbonated water is water that is infused with carbon dioxide. We exhale carbon dioxide. It has absolutely no damaging effect on your teeth.

The pH of carbonated drinks is about 4 ish, approximately the same pH as an apple, or even bluberries. Cranberry juice has a pH of just above 2. Your stomach pH is 1 to 2.

Human tooth enamel can repair itself.

/science geek ;) :D

I was reffering to it depleting you calcium supply in bones.....ans yes it does deplete your calcium supply in your bones if you over drink that stuff.

Camelyn

AnomalousEntity said:
And also if you will refer to my post above you will see the topic at hand was really the strenght of the ACIDS IN YOUR STOMACH the coke thing was just thrown in there for illustration.

Yeah, I know, I'm nit-picker :)

AnomalousEntity said:
Like Camelyn stated, the stomach acid is at 1-2 ph, and can not only dissolve teeth and nails (overtime) but the majority of insects and bacteria dont stand a chance in hell of surviving in there. (minus those causing ceretain food poisions).

This one thing about human physiology that amazes me. How we are able to contain this horribly corrosive substance within tissues that it would normally dissolve under different conditions...freaky that is :)

Camelyn

Buttcrackdivine said:
I was reffering to it depleting you calcium supply in bones.....ans yes it does deplete your calcium supply in your bones if you over drink that stuff.

Yeah, woman have to be really careful. Can anyone confirm, but I think it's the caffeine that does it, reducing absorbtion of calcium? I'm thinking this, because I have heard the same about coffee...and that I should be drinking so damned much of it :)

IDLEchild

Camelyn said:
Yeah, woman have to be really careful. Can anyone confirm, but I think it's the caffeine that does it, reducing absorbtion of calcium? I'm thinking this, because I have heard the same about coffee...and that I should be drinking so damned much of it :)

No, caffiene is a neurotoxin i don't think it depletes calcium supply but i am not too sure.

BTW nice avatar.....she is a very beautiful woman.

Camelyn

Buttcrackdivine said:
No, caffiene is a neurotoxin i don't think it depletes calcium supply but i am not too sure.

hmmm, neurotoxin or caffeine absorbtion...know what? I'm thinking either way, it's not a good thing :)

Lexa Doig is a hottie, and Canadian, eh? :)

AnomalousEntity

Camelyn said:
Yeah, I know, I'm nit-picker :)

This one thing about human physiology that amazes me. How we are able to contain this horribly corrosive substance within tissues that it would normally dissolve under different conditions...freaky that is :)

The cells lining the digestive tract are the fastest reproducing in the human body, in the same category with hair and reproductive cells (sperm/ova) and red/white blood cells.

This is EXACTLY the reason why chemo thereapy hurts most with violent vomiting, hair loss, anemia, lowered immunity, and sterility. Chemo kills cells and limits repoduction of cells and the patient feels the side effects immediatly in those areas that are dependant upon rapid cell regeneration for normal functioning.

Because the cells reporduce so fast in the stomach, and because the stomach is lined with protective secretions and specialized tissue types, it can easily withstand this substance.

Now get a small hole in there (ulcer) and let it get a foot hold (some people have more acidic stomachs than others) and youll see a bleeding ulcer or perforation in no time flat. This also occurs with chemo patients or aging patients.

Inkara1

fury said:
I was boiling some water to make some ramen noodles... and this fly just hovers over the pan for a fraction of a second and suddenly makes a nosedive into the water... It exploded on contact and 4 cups of water went down the drain.

Why? It's perfectly safe... not only is it protein, but the heat from the boiling water will kill any bacteria present. :D

AnomalousEntity

Buttcrackdivine said:

Caffine is a neuro stimulant-not a neuro toxin. Botulism is a neuro toxin. :lloyd:

IN general, massive intakes of higher than normal acidic substances can drop the PH in the blood stream slightly. This impedes the bodys ability to uptake free calcuim in the blood and can even cause a release "buffer" effect (calcium dissolved acts as a PH buffer in the blood in the same way that crushed coral in a salt water tank acts as a PH buffer). furthermore, caffenine causes vaso constriction (the narrowing of the blood vessels and capillaries) this can reduce the amount of circulating oxygen, nutrients, and minerals to certain areas of the body and cause the substances to be released by the bones back into the blood stream. Lastly, large amounts of sugar released into the blood cause your pancreas to dump insulin into the blood stream. Insulin is known to decrease the level of free floating potassium which is closely related to calcium regulation in the ionic/mineral balance of the blood stream. IE. it drops both.

A diabetic patient can get into a condition known as diabetic keto acidosis. Their sugars go high, their blood PH gets very acidic, and they spill ketones (protein) into their blood. You can give calcium bicarbonate (Sodium Bicarb usually-just called "bicarb") to buffer the lowered PH. You then start them on an insulin drip but have to monitor for a sudden/corresponding drop in their potassium as the insulin infuses. You then continue to monitor PH, calcium and bicarbonate levels on a near hour to q4h basis. You also have to watch for cerebral edema because the brain is the cheif user of glucose and it cant handle a sudden shift in blood glucose.

Oh....and she was right about the sugar being a major factor in tooth decay with regards to food retained in the mouth overnight. Ive seen entire teeth, gums and bone erroded by babies being put to sleep with milk at night.

Camelyn

AnomalousEntity said:
Caffine is a neuro stimulant-not a neuro toxin. Botulism is a neuro toxin. :lloyd:

<snippage of a lot of really informative science stuff>.

So, the gist I'm getting is that yes, caffeine will inhibit, through various mechanisms, the abosobtion and/or retention of calcium in the bones?

Now that I read your post, this is essentially what I recall reading, somewhere, somewhen.

AnomalousEntity

Camelyn said:
So, the gist I'm getting is that yes, caffeine will inhibit, through various mechanisms, the abosobtion and/or retention of calcium in the bones?

Now that I read your post, this is essentially what I recall reading, somewhere, somewhen.

Yea thats the short version, but I still wouldnt think it would be a problem unless the particular person already had pre-exsisting calcuim issues or drank immensly excessive amounts of caffeine or soft drinks.