Thunderstorms!

greenfreak

There's a band of thunderstorms moving through my area right now, I love it!!

If you go to weather.com and put in the zip code of 11561, the Doppler shows severe storms woo hoo! :cool:

Who else loves lightning and thunder?

(before you ask, I have a UPS for my computer!) :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
One of the coolest places to see them is in Phoenix. Go up on one of the hills & the entire valley lights up several times during a storm. I love them as long as there are no tornadoes involved.

Professur

Originally posted by greenfreak
(before you ask, I have a UPS for my computer!) :D

What about your data line? A phone line can carry a surge as easily as a powerline. And do a helluva lot more damage.

greenfreak

Good point. Even better-I have cable. It could probably handle more juice than a phone line. Cable line--modem--router--nic--computer. eek.

nalani

Oooohh I love lightning and thunder. We haven't had any for a while - it's been hella hot and humid lately *gr* ... we finally got our trades back today though.

The last two lightning storms we've had were sorta like Luis G's avatar ... I love it!

greenfreak

LOL

You know, I thought of that too after I posted the thread... I was wondering if someone would bring it up. :D

[homer]DOH![/homer]

JJR512

There were some quickie t-storms in this area yesterday, and today, there was a brief but hard thunderstorm with hail. Hail is very rare here.

Gonzo, I know just what you mean about the t-storms in Phoenix. I was born there and lived there until I was seven. I never got to see them from the perspective you mentioned, but from just being in and around them, I could tell they were much more interesting than any t-storm I've ever experienced here in Maryland. I always thought it was odd that out there were many more hailstorms out there in the desert than there have been here. As I recall, rainstorms in Phoenix are going to just about always be thunderstorms. And the rainbows...man, I've never seen rainbows anywhere like in the Southwest. Every thunderstorm had at least one. Some storms had many, and in New Mexico, I saw many double and even a few tripple rainbows.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
The biggest difference between t-storms in the midwest & those in Phx, besides lack of tornadic activity, was, about 4pm every late July-early Aug afternoon, there'd be a HUGE duststorm & then it would storm for 2-3 hours then clear & dry up & be warm & clear the rest of the night. In the midwest it threatens for half the day, the you get a 3" storm & have 99% humidity every day for a month.

oh & these types of strikes
August-s.jpg

unclehobart

I was in a tourist boat sailing around in the Milford Sound fjord of South Island NZ parked under a waterfall. If you stood in the right spot, you would see about 25 rainbows at once.

tarez

I use to be scared of lightning....lol when i was like 4....

Midwest is shitty for storms...damn MN humidity is the worst.

Last year had straight line winds knock over all kinds of 40 year old trees etc. Ruined the look of the town along the highway. Other towns and cities got it alot worse then here.

greenfreak

I was supposed to go the NY Botanical Gardens today because the forecast for today from yesterday said partly cloudy in the afternoon. I see it today and it says thunderstorms starting at 1pm. Looks like I'll have to try again tomorrow. :mad2:

When I lived in Florida, we had some awesome storms, constantly. I was amazed how a t-storm could move in, plop some rain and cool lightning down, and then move out within a matter of minutes.

A little girl got hit by lightning in a field three houses away from mine-the thunder was deafening. My ears were ringing for a couple of minutes after that and we had thought our house was hit, that's how bad it was. We found out later what it actually was-which made it weirder.

I love google--I just found an article on lightning in Florida and it mentions the exact thing I was talking about:

Most years bring lightning deaths to South Florida. Lightning struck Jenna Bernardo, 10, as she played softball at a park in Lighthouse Point in 1995. She died after three years in a coma.

Florida Sun-Sentinel article