Timeouts

M

Magnethead

Fury/ et al, this is magnethead from the racing board. I already spoke with Franna over the phone, Fury, if you need/want me or franna to reset the server if it crashes while you're at work and the server dude is in vegas making more money to buy more servers, let one of us know. Although i think we'd both agree i'm the more technical person ;).

My cell number is posted on RF.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The spiders aren't much of a problem - there's just another site on the server that's occasionally got 300+ concurrent (within a minute) users. The spiders crawling this site are not nearly as rampant - there's maybe 1 or 2 that are actually concurrent (within a minute), but the cookie timeout here is 3 hours (180 minutes)

Andy (andyt683 - generous guy that paid for most of the server <3) has bought 4 gigs more RAM (which will bring us to a total of 6) and another Opteron 2212 for the server (we already have one), and he will be able to get into the datacenter to install it at 6pm EST on Thursday. So, hopefully we'll be past this one last speed bump.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
For a web server I mean ;)

Our lab server has 4 cores and 2GB of RAM. It is running Debian, apache2 (2048 max clients) and a custom compiled kernel. More than enough.

Most of the time the cache is the one eating the RAM, and that's because of the NIS/NFS running on it to serve the workstations.

chcr

Too cute for words
For a web server I mean ;)

Our lab server has 4 cores and 2GB of RAM. It is running Debian, apache2 (2048 max clients) and a custom compiled kernel. More than enough.

Most of the time the cache is the one eating the RAM, and that's because of the NIS/NFS running on it to serve the workstations.

Ahh...

Luis G

Staff member
I find atop useful to know what's slowing down the server. It gives per CPU usage, free RAM and RAM used for cache, as well as disk load. For network usage I use nload.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, top is how I find out how much memory/swap it's using, and what's doing the most damage. I managed to find some guy on there with two CGI scripts running, both in an infinite loop. That reminds me, I need to kill him with fire next chance I get...

Luis G

Staff member
I don't think atop runs nicely with virtual hosts...at least, I always have problems with it and end up running concurrent processes on separate logfiles, which is a killer by itself.

Yeah I know, on our servers we use no virtualization as it is dedicated to only one site. So even if atop's daemon eats some cpu it isn't that much.