Top posters list

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Is it restricted to certain groups? I'm sure spike has posted more than me in the last 28 days, yet he doesn't appear on the list.

Also, it looks like only mods and admins appear in there.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Fixed. The plugin setting defaults left out several usergroups we have here.

spike

Yes. Makes it easier to relegate someone to the kiddie korner.

Not sure I see how that works. Some other boards I've been on have usergroups for people interested in a particular topic or gaming guilds kind of thing. This sounds different.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
We have usergroups with different levels of priviledge. Moderators, admins, contributors, regular users, window lickers and such.

No big deal.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The main problem was that the standard, registered user usergroup that's set up in vBulletin is not the one we use for regular registered users... The one we use was not in the default list of usergroups that it had set up to show as a top poster, so there were (at the time) 999 users just from the regular registered member usergroup that were not eligible to show up. It was pretty much just mods and admins, if I recall correctly.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Well...I'm back on the list. Didn't realize that I was part of a subset or usergroup.

hmmm.

EVERYONE is part of a user group...most people are part of the regular user group with the majority of other members...but everyone is part of a user group.

MrBishop

Yea...I realize that, Nix... but I don't think that 'regular user' was one of the user groups that could be removed from web statistics... I administer several vbulletin sites and had never seen that particular option. :shrug:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
To Bish's comment: As fury said, we don't use the board default registered user settings for our registered users. fury and sammy made a bigger and better "registered user".

So, anyway, the Top Poster statistic compiler thing was doing what it was supposed to, and drawing from the board default registered user list which was comprised of nobody.

Now it's been told to ALSO look at the bigger and better registered user list.

To answer Spike: When a body registers at a board, they are placed immediately into a usergroup. These are the basic registered users. Then there are the mods/admins usergroups, and the 'doesn't have 30 posts yet' usergroups. The admins/owners can create more groups as they see fit, to limit capabilities, to add capabilities, or to allow or disallow viewing of forums. Here, this would be seen in action in the "Contributor" usergroup, and the "Window Licker" usergroups, among others. We could always make other usergroups, and invisible forums for those who like baseball, or for whatever else we wanted. But the bottom line is, everyone right from the beginning of posting on every board has a usergroup which outlines what they're able to post, see, and do on the board.

Clear as mud?