U.S. drops bomb on wedding party.

sbcanada

BAGRAM AIR BASE, Afghanistan (CNN) -- At least 20 people were killed and more than 60 injured in Afghanistan when a U.S. plane dropped a bomb on a wedding party as celebrants fired into the air, an Afghan defense spokesman said Monday.

Wedding guests were celebrating and firing up into the air just before the bomb struck, Dr. Gulbudin said.

"We understand that there was some civilian casualties during the operation. We do not yet know how many casualties or how they occurred," (U.S. military spokesman Col. Roger King) said.

Source

Yet another example of American military ignorance and stupidity. :rolleyes:

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Yeah, 9 views, and 0 posts, great way of ignoring the truth.

HomeLAN

What would you have me say? That I'm very sorry this happened? I am. That an investigation should follow? It will.

Anything else I say (or any other US member who posts in support of his country's military says) has been met with derision and argument from just about everyone on this board - you in particular, Luis.

No thanks.

freako104

:mad2: this kind of thing is very upsetting. i cant believe wed drop a bomb dircetly on civilians(although i admit that we have bombed houses and bomb shelters in the past) but to do this its so sad that shit like this happens. oh and luis its not just your posts anymore.

Ardsgaine

Originally posted by Luis G
now are 15 views, and just my posts......

Actually, I was just trying to avoid saying something nasty to Anakin. I thought his comment was asinine and simply intended to start a flame war.

Does anyone really want to debate whether such mistakes prove that the American military is ignorant? Do you honestly think that the people of your country are smarter, and could do any better in the same situation? It's not the ignorance of our military which Anakin objects to anyway, it's the strength.

Let me just say this for all those people living in countries outside the USA: It's okay... just because we're the strongest nation, militarily, doesn't make your country irrelevant. We need places with weak currencies to visit when we go on vacation. We especially like places where the people have funny accents; it's so quaint. We still respect your sovereignity, even though you're totally encapable of defending it. As long as you respect our rights and don't fuck with our oil supply, we'll leave you alone.

There you go, Luis. How's that for a reply?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Agreed, what do you want, me to defend my country again so you can tear it to shit?
You know, if I wanted to, I'm quite sure I could find examples of Canadian and British stupidity, but I don't think I will, why? because we are supposed to be allies.

Someday, Canada or Brtiain will be attacked, and you know what, who the fuck do you think you'll be calling? Afganistan? Nope, the fucking U.S. of A.

And I for one hope we say, Duhhhhh, we're too stuuupid to help Youuu.

unclehobart

Its a war zone. Common sense simply states that you do not congregate in large numbers... out in the open... with guns... firing said guns. Its like painting a big bullseye on yourself and begging to be slapped down. No military has the time nor the inclination to pause and check ID and question people or warn civilians. You simply don't do stupid things in the middle of a shooting war. ITS WAR. Civillians have always died my the thousands and the millions throughout history. Its called 'war' for a reason. Its not a fricking cookie bake off contest.

ris

i don't believe that the us military was ignorant in this case, it was an unfortunate accident that has had tragic consequences. my concern is that to find and eradicate al qaeda and taleban militia's requires the help of the afghan people, the battle is as much for hearts and minds and incidents such as these don't help.

Ardsgaine

Originally posted by ris
i don't believe that the us military was ignorant in this case, it was an unfortunate accident that has had tragic consequences. my concern is that to find and eradicate al qaeda and taleban militia's requires the help of the afghan people, the battle is as much for hearts and minds and incidents such as these don't help.

Ah... thanks, Ris. Now we can have an intellectual debate, instead of a pissing contest.

IMO, we don't really need to smoke out every last member of Al Quaeda. We don't even need to find Osama Bin Laden. We just need to move on to the next country. It's the countries that finance terrorism and provide material and intellectual support that are important. Once we take those out, the Osama Bin Ladens of the world won't be able to function-- at least, not on the present scale.

I think the next target should probably be Iran, but Iraq seems to be more likely right now. Iran is the more logical target from a war on terrorism standpoint, but Bush wants to finish the job his dad failed to do, and he probably thinks Americans can be more easily motivated to support an attack on Iraq.

ris

the importance to the us people of getting to bin laden could well keep troops in afghanistan for a while longer. symbolically he is vital to prove that nothing is too hard.

iran has been steadily improving its diplomatic relations over the last 5 years, it has a more moderate government that is working toward removing power from the hard-line clerics. a government toward such radical change and democracy was voted in by 70%.
certainly the uk has been working toward improved diplomatic and economic relations that the war on terrorism has stalled.
iran is in a position where i'm certain improved links with the rest of the world would help reduce extremist and support for terrorist organisations.

iraq is a trickier subject, removing saddam hussein may not remove the problem although it may improve things. the question of how he is removed is the really tricky bit as it may anger and further polarise the region. i'm sure that most countries in that area will support his removal, as long as it doesn't lead to the deaths of too many civillians or start border-wars.

Ardsgaine

Originally posted by ris
the importance to the us people of getting to bin laden could well keep troops in afghanistan for a while longer. symbolically he is vital to prove that nothing is too hard.

It's only an issue if our goal is to arrest and try the people responsible. I have strong objections to that strategy, though. Under no circumstances should any of the terrorists be tried in a court of law. This was not a police action, it was a war. We do not have the right to go into another country and arrest people. We are not the world's policeman. We do, however, have the right to go to war against a country that is harboring people who attacked us. That's what we did, regardless of whether Congress had the balls to actually declare war. We went to war against Afghanistan (whoop-de-doo) and won. Now, it's time to move on to the real enemies.

iran has been steadily improving its diplomatic relations over the last 5 years, it has a more moderate government that is working toward removing power from the hard-line clerics. a government toward such radical change and democracy was voted in by 70%.

From what I understand there is a strong pro-western, pro-freedom movement in Iran. It would be great if they could overthrow the mullahs and take back the country by themselves. In the meantime, though, the mullahs are in control. They are shipping weapons, providing aid and giving logistical support to terrorists. Recently, a terrorist conference was held in Teheran to plot out their strategy for the coming years. We can't sit back and wait for the people of Iran to remove this threat themselves. We should go in, take out the mullahs and set up a constitutional republic.

iran is in a position where i'm certain improved links with the rest of the world would help reduce extremist and support for terrorist organisations.

I think it is a mistake to think that links with the west will somehow magically cause a dictatorship to collapse. It is exactly the opposite. The more financial aid and moral support that we give to the government through our contact, the more entrenched it becomes. That's what happened in Russia, and it's what is happening with China. Either go in and take them out, or pull back all support and let them collapse.

iraq is a trickier subject, removing saddam hussein may not remove the problem although it may improve things. the question of how he is removed is the really tricky bit as it may anger and further polarise the region. i'm sure that most countries in that area will support his removal, as long as it doesn't lead to the deaths of too many civillians or start border-wars.

Would you say that the way the Allies removed Tojo from Japan or Hitler from Germany was calculated to win the hearts of the people in those countries? We weren't particularly gentle in either case, but the force we used was justified. The important thing is that we removed the threat, and left the countries in the hands of the people, so that there would be less chance of them starting another war any time soon. So far, it's worked.

Luis G

Staff member
i really don't think it is stupidity or the US army, accidents happen.

I just want to be sure that you know that not only your civilians die, and civilians deads in other countries hurt as much as yours do. I just want you to notice that and not be all "so happy" about your war on terrorism, war is bad.

Yes, you could say that lots of innocent civilian died in the WTC, but the people that just died in Afghanistan were innocent too.

My 0.02

Luis G

Staff member
Originally posted by HomeLAN
Anything else I say (or any other US member who posts in support of his country's military says) has been met with derision and argument from just about everyone on this board - you in particular, Luis.

Can you please explain this to me?.

I know we have different opinions, i respect yours, i hope you respect mine. I just stand my opinion just as anybody else in this board, my opinion has always been this: NO WAR, NO GUNS, NO VIOLENCE. Whenever that involves your country, i will say something about it, i'm not all against the USA, i'm agains violence. And yes, i'm agains terrorism, i've never said anything against the USA for killing terrorists or bombing training fields.

sbcanada

Originally posted by Ardsgaine

We are not the world's policeman.

Are you not? You sure act like it.

Originally posted by Luis G.

i've never said anything against the USA for killing terrorists or bombing training fields.

How about the USA bombing Canadian soldiers in a marked Allied training field? The report was released, and found that the pilots were to blame. They did not have permission to drop bombs but did so anyways. Ignorant fucking cowards. :anibang:

Ardsgaine

Originally posted by Luis G
Yes, you could say that lots of innocent civilian died in the WTC, but the people that just died in Afghanistan were innocent too.

What would you have us do, Luis? Sit at home, don't defend ourselves and hope that no one figures out that we lack the moral courage to shoot back because we're afraid that innocent people might be hit in the cross fire? A country that won't defend itself when attacked the way we were, is dead. It can't survive.

Of course civilians are dying in Afghanistan. That's what happens in war. It is tragic, but it would be far more tragic if the world's largest free country lost the will to live.

Luis G

Staff member
Originally posted by Ardsgaine
What would you have us do, Luis?

Enforce the security inside your country.
And if you (the US) wants to fight a war, learn to kill only guilty people.

how the hell a bomb can fall from a plane by "accident"?, indeed, that's stupidity as Anakin said.

I will not reply again to this thread, my point has been stated, i will read yours, and accept what i think is reasonable.

Peace.