U-Scan

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
or whatever your local store calls its equivalence...

I have one request...If you aren't smart enough to check yourself out without the "overseer" visiting you more than once...shoot yourself.

*walks away mumbling something about moronic wal-mart shoppers*

PrincessLissa

I used to operate those things at Kings Soopers and I cannot agree with you more. If you can read/listen to the instructions, than you should be able to use it just fine.

The only bad thing is that at King Soopers where we had those is that the computer does not always recognize the item (which is not the customer or the operator's fault) and the stupid scale doesn't alwasy recognize the correct weight. *ahem* like when your kid is resting on the scale.

Anyway, it is fine if you don't like them, you can go into another line. Same thing if you are not able to operate them.

Inkara1

The problem with the self check-outs at the Home Depots I worked it is that half to two-thirds of the inventory has sensormatic tags. This is a problem because the self check-out is supposed to demagnetize the tag during the process... but it doesn't. That means the door alarm goes off all the time, and it sometimes gets to the point where the cashiers just wave the customers through. Nine times out of 10 that wouldn't be a problem... wait, that might be too good an estimate... after all, this is the same town where I could get hardly any help out in the lot because no one could pass the drug test.

tonksy

when i go to the store i don't want to concern myself with the code for parsnips, that's their job. also, the usacn has a fit if you don't place you item in the bag. well...what if i don't want to? and the cash always gets hung up on the inside. i'd just as soon go to a live person (or the closest thing to that i can find) and have them do it. there are just certain things i like to have a live person take care of.

unclehobart

I don't have a problem with the scanners so long as everything I have is a scannable item. I won't go near it if I have produce to weigh.

chcr

Too cute for words
unclehobart said:
I don't have a problem with the scanners so long as everything I have is a scannable item. I won't go near it if I have produce to weigh.
That's the way I use it too.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I haven't seen any, and would refuse to use one if I did. There are three reasons for this, and you can call me an extremist if you like, but I'd ask you to think them over carefully before you dismiss them entirely.

1. ID chip implant technology. Admittedly, this site is from a person a bit far removed from reality, but the chips do exist. Convenient as all get-out, but one piece of technology that could link you, and your purchases, so that you can just grab your stuff, walk past the scanner, and pick up your receipt. There's a lot of information you could store in such a small package, and since it gets it's power from body heat, it lasts just as long as you do.

2. You're putting somebody out of work. We need the tax base.

3. You're making humans more dependent on machines. Now I like my stuff as much as the next person, but I could actually survive without it. How many others could say the same?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
tonksy said:
when i go to the store i don't want to concern myself with the code for parsnips, that's their job. also, the usacn has a fit if you don't place you item in the bag. well...what if i don't want to? and the cash always gets hung up on the inside. i'd just as soon go to a live person (or the closest thing to that i can find) and have them do it. there are just certain things i like to have a live person take care of.

If you don't like the self-checkout aisle...then don't use it. That was part of what pissed me off yesterday. The people in front of me were complaiing about it while awaiting a U-scan to become available. Lots of groceries or some produce or irregualr items should go through the regular line.

Wait until the "basket scanner" (all at once checkout) becomes available. There'll always be one or two items, at the bottlom, that aren't being recognized by the scanner.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
3. You're making humans more dependent on machines. Now I like my stuff as much as the next person, but I could actually survive without it. How many others could say the same?

We can survive without the internet, computers, cell phones, cars, tv, etc etc.

They are all superfluous items, but we are so used to them that they have become a need.

Gato_Solo

Luis G said:
We can survive without the internet, computers, cell phones, cars, tv, etc etc.

They are all superfluous items, but we are so used to them that they have become a need.

That's where you're wrong, Luis G. They aren't needed at all. Just like drugs, we've become dependent upon artificial means to keep us going. If they dropped 100 average men, and 100 average women on a deserted island for 3 months, with no cameras, no food, and no water, how many do you think would survive? What would they do to keep going? Barring disease and accidents, I'm pretty certain all would survive...but that survival would be dependent upon who they have as a leader.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
That's where you're wrong, Luis G. They aren't needed at all.

That's what I said, need as in the context of "wanting those" not "being essential".

Gato_Solo

Luis G said:
That's what I said, need as in the context of "wanting those" not "being essential".

Ahhh...I was looking more at the end of your statement...
Luis G said:
we are so used to them that they have become a need.

My bad. :blush:

TexasRaceLady

When I lived in Houston, my grocery store had those self-checkout lines. I loved them. I could get my groceries and be gone.

The small town I live in now, barely has gas stations with credit card readers at the pumps. If a self-checkout ever showed up here, half the population wouldn't know what to do, and the rest would probably pass out. *sigh*

Inkara1

tonksy said:
the usacn has a fit if you don't place you item in the bag. well...what if i don't want to?
It doesn't have to be in the bag... it just has to be on the scale that the bags are on. You can put them next to the bags and you'll be fine. It works via weight.

PostCode

Major contributor!
Gonz said:
or whatever your local store calls its equivalence...

I have one request...If you aren't smart enough to check yourself out without the "overseer" visiting you more than once...shoot yourself.

*walks away mumbling something about moronic wal-mart shoppers*

I've used them a few times, but the last time it was friggin' broken. The lady came over, told me what to do, I did it and it still didn't work. She came back over, made a big scene only to tell me it was broke. I then proceeded to say in a rather load voice" Really? Why the hell didn't you tell me that the first fucking time?!?"

I refuse to use the id10todic things now.

Winky

God help you if you ever encounter an inoperative gas pump then?

Now Really people!!!

Ya sound like a buncha old wimen's
(Gonz is a old woman)
Some of us are old enough to remember
the whining about having to pump your own gas!!!

OMG!

Wait til ALL the stores are U-Scan
you'll wanna kick the holy crap outta the imbecile in front of you for being so damn stupid..

I can see it now "the U-Scan defense"

Your honor the twerp couldn't use the self-checkout
I just snapped!

"Case Dismissed"

Now will everyone chime in with:
"oh they will NEVER make all checkouts self-serve"

Two things.
When was the last time you went through a full serve island at the gas station and
think of all those wonderful union grocery store cashiers kicked out on their asses!!!
Don't tell me they wouldn't love to fire 75% of them and let you do their jobs for free!!!!!!