Update on my ecs problem

S

s4

I took the xp1800 out of my good computer. I put the 2000 in and am on the web with it right now.

Here is my voltages and temps, how are these? I'm not very knowledgeable about these new comps. Thanks.

S

s4

I think Sam's conclusion that the board is bad is correct. I tried the xp1800 cpu in the system and it still wouldn't boot. Exact same results as before. I put my xp2000, radeon and pc2100 in my good system and it is ok.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Your temps look good, put some load on it for a few minutes and see what you get. I'd bump the voltage on the cpu down one notch, I run mine at ~1.65 and it does great.

S

s4

Thanks. I'll see if the bios will let me. I have the 2000 cpu in an ASRock board that seems much better than the ECS.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Your -5v and -12v voltages are pretty out of whack. They're supposed to be around the same as the +5 and +12 ones. Also, the +5v Standby is a little on the low side of the normal scale but not as much of a worry as those -5v and -12v ones. Try a different PSU? How many watts is the one you have now rated to? And is it a brand name or generic?

PT

Damn, I didn't even notice those, but there is no way those could be right, +1.3 for -12 and +2.14 for -5? There's got to be a bug in the sensors to get those kind of readings. I don't think it would even boot with that.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's true. Best way to check is with a volt meter, or best way to find out if it's stable is run Genome. (not a shameless plug, either... damn thing really does put your system under enough stress to find out :D)

S

s4

Yeah, I have the 400 watt psu in the case right now. It is only AMD recommended up to the 1800+. I'm going to put in the 350 watt and see what happens. It is recommended for up to a 2000+. It's the middle of the night right now and I can't even see straight, so it will have to wait until morning.

the sensors have to be misreporting, the +5 looks right though, an its slighlt ya bit low for idle, might dip too low when under load, trying the other psu is a good idea.

If its a Palimino core cpu, then its slighly high on the vcore, if Tbred, be careful, way too high :eek: , most palis will do default speed at 1.675-1.7v, and it'll bring temps down a decent notch.

S

s4

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, my bios doesn't allow me to adjust the voltages. I'm searching google for a way to do it with software.

I'm trying to figure out a way to get better airflow in the system. The front of the case is designed so that there are no vent holes. I may have to put some blowholes in the side before warm weather starts and the temps heat up.

S

s4

I put the other psu in and here are the values. I think those negative values might be right except they are missing the - sign.

PT

I hope not, -1.21 for -12 would be pretty bad, same with -2.09 for -5. I'd still say you have something wrong with your sensors, or it wouldn't be booting if the voltages were that far out of line.

Have you looked to see if there are bios updates available?

S

s4

I flashed my bios with the newest one about a half hour ago. The system seems to be stable. The big concern that I have is that my cpu is getting a little warmer than I would like. I need to get some thermal compound rather than using the pad. I have some left over Artic Alumina but don't want that on my cpu.

Those readings that I posted are not accurate. The cpu temp is reading 6 C higher in the cmos than this program is. My cpu is about 46-48C under load.

PT

48 isn't really too bad for load temp. I've had mine up to 54, it didn't crash. The thermal grease would help though. Is it a Stock cooler then too?

S

s4

yeah, it came with the retail xp2000

i have a coolermaster hhc-001 with a 7000 rpm fan but the tornado sound drives me crazy

tommyj27

Not really Banned
it's been my experience that sensors are usually flaky, though sometimes it's software too. that's not bad for a load temp either. my system runs 51-54.5C under load depending on the time of day, it ran a few degrees higher before i vacuumed a couple weeks back, and over 60C for a few days after that when I forgot to plug a fan back in :eek: still solid as a rock though

tommyj27

Not really Banned
had to attach some flakyness, my cpu fan only registers when it feels like it and my psu monitoring works even less frequently

tommyj27

Not really Banned
that would be 83 PROCcesses, not cpus:(. if it were 83 processors, i'm sure 82.99 of those would be crunching genome (or distributed:D )