US lesbian wins fertility battle

MrBishop

maybe next we can force religious christians to perform abortions, when a free koat hangar klinik is right across the street, just to show those fuckers who is boss, eh?
Again, you're mistaking the process with the patient.

Force the KKK artif.insemination docs to perform artif.insem on black patients who come to see them.

Or if you prefer the slipperier slope.

A married jewish orthodox doctor should have to save the life of a female having a heart-attack in front of his eyes, despite what his religion has to say about touching a woman who is not his wife.

2minkey

bootlicker
one more time folks.

there are plenty of alternatives for this lady.

it is not life or death. no one is refusing to provide serious or immediate medical care to someone else based on lifestyle, ethnicity, religion, whatever.

she is not the only one with rights in this equation, either.

okay, yep, i give up. let's force the 1 in 50 doctors who may object to perform a voluntary, non-life threatening procedure on this selfish, lazy bitch. and hey, let's go one further, let's have the government pay for it!

y'all are giving the folks who whine about "PC" all the time some pretty good ammo. hope you're proud.

Professur

One more time for those who missed it
Ms Benitez said it was 'painful' to be denied her right to be a mother

Not her right to medical attention ... right to be a mother. Seems to me, her lifestyle choice is the only thing denying that. I know thousands of wimmen who didn't need a doctor's help to exercise that right (if right it be. I don't recall the right to propagate appearing in anywhere). In fact, the only wimmen I know who actually 'needed' a doctor's help ... were married to the doctor in the first place.

2minkey

bootlicker
more like duty to breed according to jeapus.

yeah anyway i hardly think her lifestyle choice should impede her opportunity to raise a little beastie into self-righteous, lazy american adulthood, but then, that opportunity hasn't substantially been impeded by doctor superstitious either.

*looking for rational, reasonable volunteers to help clarify various issues for those so far lost at the extremities that they don't remotely resemble anyone real*

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It's dircrimination to refuse service on account of gender race or sexual orientation.

Too bad the private sector can't work itself out. If I, as a business owner, decide not to cater to redheads, then, by gawd, I have the right to not serve redheads. If they don't like it, they can take their business elsewhere. Poeple than dislike redheads can cater to my business & redheads can stay away. I'm sure there are other places to get whachamacallits.

Get government out of the private sector.

Which in thins case is against the law, and the hippocratic oath.

Huh? There's no life saving going on here.

chcr

Too cute for words
Too bad the private sector can't work itself out. If I, as a business owner, decide not to cater to redheads, then, by gawd, I have the right to not serve redheads. If they don't like it, they can take their business elsewhere. Poeple than dislike redheads can cater to my business & redheads can stay away. I'm sure there are other places to get whachamacallits.

Get government out of the private sector.

So discrimnating against blacks or hispanics (or damned fools with nose rings or whoever else) in the same way is perfectly alright in "the private sector?" Where do you draw the line? Do you draw the line at all? Would you have it the same way for hiring practices?

Don't get me wrong, I think the lesbian lady picked the doctor based on his beliefs just to make noise in the media, but that doesn't make it non-discrimination.

Professur

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the right to discriminate 'is' the right to free speech. Anyone who thinks that 'minorities' don't discriminate needs to read this

chcr

Too cute for words
Personally, I'm of the opinion that the right to discriminate 'is' the right to free speech. Anyone who thinks that 'minorities' don't discriminate needs to read this

I'm well aware that minorities discriminate too. That doesn't make it right or okay.

MrBishop

One more time for those who missed it

Not her right to medical attention ... right to be a mother. Seems to me, her lifestyle choice is the only thing denying that. I know thousands of wimmen who didn't need a doctor's help to exercise that right (if right it be. I don't recall the right to propagate appearing in anywhere). In fact, the only wimmen I know who actually 'needed' a doctor's help ... were married to the doctor in the first place.

I know of two couples who have used in-vitro to have kids and one couple who adopted :shrug:

2minkey

bootlicker
If I, as a business owner, decide not to cater to redheads, then, by gawd, I have the right to not serve redheads.

are you a business owner, or is this a hypothetical stand you are taking?

p.s. if so, send the redheads over here...

MrBishop

Personally, I'm of the opinion that the right to discriminate 'is' the right to free speech.

No, it doesn't. You can talk about it, and to a point write about it...but acting (by discriminating or stopping people from their other rights and freedoms) is no longer 'speech'.

You can say "I don't like serving/working with/selling to <insert minority here>" - but there's not a damn thing that you can do to stop them from entering your place of business, your local park, your street or anything else in the public domain - nor does freedom of speech allow you to fix different rates for different people for entry/services/goods.

Isms begin and end at home.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
So discrimnating against blacks or hispanics (or damned fools with nose rings or whoever else) in the same way is perfectly alright in "the private sector?"

Yes.

The market will take care of these fools or allow them to exist as a second tier nut factory, never moving past barely adequate.

minkey, I married a redhead & my kid is one....

chcr

Too cute for words
Yes.

The market will take care of these fools or allow them to exist as a second tier nut factory, never moving past barely adequate.

minkey, I married a redhead & my kid is one....
That's clear enough. I think you're wrong, but it's clear enough. ;)

MrBishop

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/documents/S142892.PDF

The court ruling in all of it's glory.

chik - you're wrong about the choice of Docs to make a point. The Doc in question was the only one available once her primary Doc went on vacation. Refered to him by her primary doc, she didn't choose the discriminatory doc herself.

It's quite convoluted if you care to read the whole thing.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
*looking for rational, reasonable volunteers to help clarify various issues for those so far lost at the extremities that they don't remotely resemble anyone real*

Guess you missed my post, so I'll say it again...

Nobody...let's say that again with some emphasis...nobody has a right to a child. What you have here is a drama queen trying to force her beliefs on a doctor who does not share them.

P_V said:
and Rosa Parks coulda moved to the back of the bus.

Just because there is an alternative doesn't mean anything.

Discrimination is discrimination.

Bringing Rosa Parks into this was totally unwarranted and totally off the mark. Why is it that every time a gay person wants to force a straight person to accept their viewpoint, racism always comes up? I'll answer that for you...because they no evidence to their lifestyle choice without telling a person outright. Bottom line is, most people couldn't care less about whether a person is gay until they gay person forces the issue. I'll be waiting on your ill-advised treatise on 'Freedom of Speech' to try to justify your shoddy claim...

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
That's clear enough. I think you're wrong, but it's clear enough. ;)

Since you are not a minority, I'll clue you in...There are stores which I will not go into because of their choice of clients. They do not bar me from entering (which would be illegal), but they have compunction about whether my kind is welcome. I was in one not too long ago looking for an HDTV. I asked the salesman about a couple of them that I was looking at and was completely ignored. My wife wanted to raise hell, but I said no. I went to the manager, mentioned that I don't like being ignored and I left. I had a good bit of cash with me, too, as I was willing to buy that day, and the prices were not that bad. Know what? I got a better set at the BX for just a bit more. Its not worth it for me to whine about their silliness, and lose my temper over that slight. My shopping at their competitors is my satisfaction. Quite a few other people share my opinion. The end result of their bad choice was that store eventually going TU, and an Aaron's RAC moving in. I never called the local paper, the NAACP, of even the IG. I just mentioned my experience to a few friends, and word spread pretty quickly. Even had others who were slighted in some way there.