usergroups?

Rose

Because there are no public usergroups to join. If there were public groups available, you could join/manage them in your user cp. :)

tommyj27

Not really Banned
ok, how about this. if there were public usergroups to join, what would their point/purpose be? are they like email listservs or something?

Squiggy

ThunderDick
They would be a discussion platform for people using specific hardware/software...A Mac user group would be a place where Mac users could question each other about problems...etc...

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
A Mac forum? Impossible, that'd be swamped around here...it'd eat up all the bandwidth...all the traffic would be in the one forum...

:yell:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Main usergroups are a person's primary group of membership... e.g. mine and Leslie's is Administrator. Someone whose rank title is "Newbie" is of the New Members group - e.g. no shoutbox access and no koc forum access. If their title is one of the ones from the ladder could be either Registered members or Contributors (those who contributed before we upgraded to vB3).

Then there are secondary groups that a member can be a part of; if they are publicly joinable then they would probably serve some sort of purpose, e.g. a member would submit a request to become a member of the Contributors usergroup and would be yelled at cause they ain't paypalled Sammy :lol:

Otherwise, an admin can assign secondary usergroups. Secondary usergroups wouldn't change a user's title or username markup (except in the case of Contributors, well, sometimes it changes it and sometimes it doesn't :tardbang: ) but would add to a user's privileges. Members with OTC Alliance Members as one of their secondary usergroups gets access to the OTC Alliance subforum of the KoC/LoL forum. Members with Contributors or Major Contributors as one of their secondary usergroups get access to the Bomb Shelter and bigger PM limits and better av/profile pic allowances.

So basically right now we don't have any usergroups that would be considered publicly joinable. (e.g., The OTC alliance group requires that you are clicking actively in the click master, and the Contributors groups require monetary donations, available at the "Manage Paid Subscriptions" link at the top)

OK, I've confused myself now. I sure hope that spaghetti I just spat out up there makes some semblance of sense to someone, cause it sure as hell doesn't to me. Did I say enough stuff that starts with s in the second sentence in that shitty paragraph?