V.O.I.P ?

MrBishop

I'm looking to do a little Voice Over IP and don't know where to start. I'd like to use my connection to connect with a phone line overseas. Any hints, tips or tricks?

Squiggy

ThunderDick
My AOL Instant Messenger has a phone function on it. I haven't tried it in over a year but I remember there was a bit of a lag to it. Worked though. :shrug: I also remember a friend using yahoo's phone function. That seemed to be much better than AIM. Not sure they still do it though. I vaguely recall a push for legislation on the technology by the phone companies.

chcr

Too cute for words
AIM and Netmeeting require a PC on the other end. I think Bish wants to call someone with just a phone. BTW, squiggs, the lag thing is much better if you both have broadband.

Inkara1

I had a girl from Edmonton call me that way a few years back. I was on the phone, she was on her computer.

I wish we were still in contact so I could ask which service she used.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Yeah...The friend I spoke of dialed his cousin's number in florida via the Yahoo messenger and held a regular phone conversation with him.

Mare

Have to ask my sis-chatty Kathy-she does it with her children all the time-but at work right now-have her respond to ya Bish and let ya know hon, what she uses.

MrBishop

Thanks all... I've got family in Spain, in Vancouver, in Edmonton and friends all over the place. I've got a fast enough compi and cable access to make it worthwhile, but the people on the other end don't.

Thanks for all the help :)