vegetarian recipes

kuulani

My husband and I are getting in on eating vegetarian ... we're not full on into it, you can't cut fish out of a Hawaiians diet ;)

But, do any of you have any good recipes for us to try?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Ooh here is a start. I bought one of these Moosewood Restaurant cookbooks and LOVE it. Here is a collection from their cookbooks. Fish, light, and vegetarian dishes. Good, yummy, healthy eating.

And Beard Of Pants gave us this recipe for Eggplant Risotto, and we made it, and it was goooooooooooood!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
My brother is vegetarian (he recently started eatting fish though because the doctor explained how good it is for you and how hard it is to find anything else to give you what fish does) and we still make a lot of stuff the way we used to...spaghetti, lasagna, chilli...but we use textured vegatable protein instead of ground meat...it's not bad, not bad at all...and that's the opinion of a meat lover who's not so fond of vegtables.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Lasagne "Surprise" (I guess the surprise is there's no meat)
(this is a "remembering off the top of my head one)

Lasagne noodles (enough for two layers in your pan), boiled
One package of frozen spinach, thawed and water squished out
2 eggs
One 500mL tub (I dunno what the conversion would be, but the bigger tub) cottage cheese
One can tomato sauce, or some of your own pasta sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
Parmesan cheese

Mix the cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, spinach, and eggs in a bowl, set aside.
(It's nice if you have the time to saute some onion and garlic for the tomato sauce, but not necessary). Layer as follows: Sauce, noodles, all of the cheese mixture, half the remaining mozzarella, sauce, noodles, sauce.

Bake till bubbling, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with parmesan and remaining mozza, put back in oven till cheese on top has melted.

Yummy!!

Serves four nicely. (There's not enough for seconds for the boys and I, but they eat a LOT.)

Cheese-Stuffed-Shells to follow.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Yes, I've eaten catfish. And haggis, and tripe, and tongue, black pudding, and head cheese, and moose, and Bambi. And all manner of other unidentified/blocked out the horror from my memory weird shit.

*puke*