vegetarian recipes

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I don't think it's just Southern. Uncle Billy used to make us kids get up at 3:30 am to go out in the boat catfish fishing. :(

Professur

A neighbour's pulled a few cats out of our lake, but was disgusted with them (see leslie's irrational reaction above) and just dumped them. I've never got one yet. Bass, perch, trout, but damned if I can find a cat in there. But then, there's a guy on the other side of the lake claims he caught a muskie in there, and I've never heard of another.

rrfield

Perch is good, they tend to be wormy though. Crappie are alright, northerns are good if you are OK with wasting a bunch of meat to get rid of the bone.

I ate catfish once. That's why I was wondering if people actually eat it. Now I cut the line when I see one.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Catfish is fantastic if properly prepared, horrible if not.

Walleye is my favorite fish to eat, followed closely by trout, cat, flounder, and most anything that ain't salmon, carp, or tuna.

Professur

I was stuck holding the damn thing for nearly 5 minutes while they looked for pliers to get the hook out, with it chewing on my thumb the whole time. Their teeth aren't big, but they've got enough of them.

HomeLAN

Professur said:
Are you coming to Cat's for the 4th? doesn't get much fresher than that.

Unfortunately, I doubt it. The family gets home that afternoon, and I need to have the place presentable so that my wife doesn't follow 17 hours in a car with a 5 YO with a messy house.

If I do come, I'll have to leave early.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
A neighbour's pulled a few cats out of our lake, but was disgusted with them (see leslie's irrational reaction above) and just dumped them. I've never got one yet. Bass, perch, trout, but damned if I can find a cat in there.
The young one caught one off the dock down here last year.

kuulani

Thanks Les for your recipes!!

Question, are your kids vegetarians too, or do you let them eat meat when they're out with other carnivores? :D

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
They eat it, and one loves it, one could care less and would prefer not, and one really only likes chicken.

They've all had everything so they know what they like now. I "try" and not influence them.

Slim Pickens

Leslie said:
Yes, I've eaten catfish. And haggis, and tripe, and tongue, black pudding, and head cheese, and moose, and Bambi. And all manner of other unidentified/blocked out the horror from my memory weird shit.

*puke*

Crawfish, sushi, oysters (raw, etc) alligator, turtle, squid, octopus, escargot, mussels, frog....the list goes on

kuulani

Leslie said:
Lasagne "Surprise" (I guess the surprise is there's no meat)
(this is a "remembering off the top of my head one)

Lasagne noodles (enough for two layers in your pan), boiled
One package of frozen spinach, thawed and water squished out
2 eggs
One 500mL tub (I dunno what the conversion would be, but the bigger tub) cottage cheese
One can tomato sauce, or some of your own pasta sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
Parmesan cheese

Mix the cottage cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, spinach, and eggs in a bowl, set aside.
(It's nice if you have the time to saute some onion and garlic for the tomato sauce, but not necessary). Layer as follows: Sauce, noodles, all of the cheese mixture, half the remaining mozzarella, sauce, noodles, sauce.

Bake till bubbling, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with parmesan and remaining mozza, put back in oven till cheese on top has melted.

Yummy!!

Serves four nicely. (There's not enough for seconds for the boys and I, but they eat a LOT.)

Cheese-Stuffed-Shells to follow.

Question ... would this be at 350 degrees? I'm attempting it tonight :licklips: