Victory!

Starya

I only use squash when I make.. uh.. Biffsnadder. Yeah. *scrathes head* I fry up strips of beef, onion, strips of carrot, squash, paprika, broccoli.. Serve with potatoes in whichever form is preferred, and bearnaise or a pepper-sauce.. And now I'm hungry. Great.

Inkara1

tonksy said:
How do you do yours?
I'll tell you what. Squash and Inkara1 go back a long way.

My parents have always had a garden in the back yard, and squash is the staple crop. As anyone who has grown a squash plant knows, one plant is enough to keep a family of five fed for an entire summer. So my parents had three yellow crookneck, three patty pan and three zucchini plants every year for a number of years. This would, of course, be enough to feed a family of 45 for an entire summer... overkill for a family of three.

That means I've tried squash pretty much every way you can imagine it. Steamed. Fried. Made into casserole. Mixed in with a special "spaghetti starter" spaghetti sauce. Mixed in with onions and other veggies. Cut into slices and tossed into a pan of ground beef and beef-flavored rice. You name it, chances are I've had it that way at least once in my life. The only problem is that there are more nights in a summer than there are ways to cook squash.

Beyond that, we had so much extra squash that my dad would take a plastic shopping bag filled to overflowing to work with him just about every day and visitors to our home weren't allowed to leave unless they took a plastic bag filled to overflowing. Rumor has it anyone who left their porch light on or car window rolled down overnight got a bag too.

Thankfully, the last two houses my family has had, the gardens were smaller so there's only been one of each plant per year, making things much more managable. A couple years ago, though, a gopher got the zucchini plant, meaning we went a whole summer without garden-fresh home-grown zucchini. It was like the first Christmas after a member of the family has died -- just not the same.

I will close this post with another little tidbit about me. I can not fucking stand spaghetti squash.

alex

Geez Inky, Are you sure we don't have the same parents? Did your mom ever make zucchini bread?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Inkara1 said:
Hmm... I think zucchini bread might be the one thing I didn't have to try.

OMG IT'S THE BEST! YOU WERE DEPRIVED! She didn't make it try it cause she wanted it ALL for herself!!! DEPRIVED!

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
It is not gross. People only get grossed out when I tell them what it is that they are eating. They think it`s banana bread. It is even better with chocolate in it though :D

unclehobart

Sorry... but I can smell exactly what it is at 20 paces. I don't know how people can fool themselves into thinking that it is anything less than a squash bread.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I like squash bread. And squash pie. And squash muffins.

And squash baked with butter and brown sugar in the seed cavern. mmmmmmm :licklips:

BeardofPants

I've never had squash... does it taste anything like turnips? Wait... is zucchini squash? Cos I've had green zucchini.. I pan fry it sometimes and put it on the pizza.
*is strangely ignorant of what to do with zucchini and would appreciate some nummy recipes

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I made cubed zucchini mixed with stewed tomatoes and assorted italian spices, topped with mozzarella and breadcrumbs. That was YUMMY.

Other than that I use it in muffins and breads, and grated into stuff so noone knows it is there. Into spaghetti sauces and the like.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
this seems like the bread one I use. *too lazy to get up and find it

Ingredients:
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
2 cups grated zucchini
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F ( 165 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Mix in oil and sugar. Stir in zucchini and vanilla. Combine flour, cinnamon, soda, baking powder, salt and nuts; stir into the egg mixture. Divide batter into prepared pans. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until done.

Inkara1

BeardofPants said:
I've never had squash... does it taste anything like turnips? Wait... is zucchini squash? Cos I've had green zucchini.. I pan fry it sometimes and put it on the pizza.
*is strangely ignorant of what to do with zucchini and would appreciate some nummy recipes
It's a type of squash... yellow crookneck has a slightly softer outer skin, a different color and a slightly different flavor.