Vista Question

MrBishop

I've got a computer with Vista installed...p/w protected and I don't have the p/w. No password recovery disk found. I have the Vista installation cd, so I suppose that I can reinstall...but I want to keep the MyDocs etc...

Q1 - will Vista wipe the personal information (MyDocs, pictures etc) from the HD during a re-installation?
Q2 - If so, is there a way to get Vista to not do this?
Q3 - If not, is there a way to crack the P/w?
Q4 - would it be easier to simply remove the main drive, turn it into a temporary external drive (USB) and remove the information using another computer?
Q5 - If so, how do you backup contacts/emails from Outlook without actually running Outlook?

**Inherited computer. Dell w/Vista Home installed, plus MS Works and Office.

chcr

Too cute for words
copy the .pst file, then import it into a new outlook (or thunderbird, or postbox)

I have to do this on average twice a month (some end users are morons). You don't import it you replace the existing .pst from the fresh install with the old copy. You get all the folders and their contents but you don't get the email settings.

Winky

Reading is fundi-mental Did not our brother from down south
already answer this question?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
If it's an inherited computer, why do you have to save the info and emails? :confuse3:

catocom

mr. b, I also found out, that on the prem ver at least, to disable the system restore, and hibernation, and some other optimizations, it has to be done through command line now.

You might want to do a search for command line stuff.

MrBishop

mr. b, I also found out, that on the prem ver at least, to disable the system restore, and hibernation, and some other optimizations, it has to be done through command line now.

You might want to do a search for command line stuff.
Thanks... <sigh> back to the drawing board.

MrBishop

If it's an inherited computer, why do you have to save the info and emails? :confuse3:
I'm mostly interested in the pictures and letters... it's inherited from my late beloved Aunt. As for the emails...it's mostly the addresses that interest me. We weren't able to reach a chunk of her friends, so many may not know that she's passed on. I want to inform them, as a last gift in memorium to my Aunt. Once that's done, the computer can be wiped clean...but to lose pictures because of a lost password would be a crying shame.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I'm mostly interested in the pictures and letters... it's inherited from my late beloved Aunt. As for the emails...it's mostly the addresses that interest me. We weren't able to reach a chunk of her friends, so many may not know that she's passed on. I want to inform them, as a last gift in memorium to my Aunt. Once that's done, the computer can be wiped clean...but to lose pictures because of a lost password would be a crying shame.

get puppy linux, install it on a USB stick, then you can boot from that, and access the files.

MrBishop

IDE or sata cable?

If you need SATA external, swing by my place and borrow mine.
Looks like this one... So, I'd say both IDE and Sata
kl-sata-usb-ide-1.jpg