Waiting for

Dave

the house to shake down.

Our street is getting torn up and repaved.
They broke up the tarmac last week. This week they are hauling away the rocks and putting a new base down. The roller is outside now flattening everything down. Its shaking the foundation. Everything is rattling right now.

I wonder if they would have to pay for any damages....

Professur

Yes, they would. If you're in the slightest concerned, call city hall .. NOW. File a grievance immediately and insist that your building be inspected for damages now, and upon completion. Also consider phoning your home owner's insurance.

Dave

Wouldn't be anyone there right now. Schools out...offices are closed or closing.
Small town, population-wise. Lots of part-timers in City Hall.

Just looked around the crawl space. Didn't see anything new.

Inkara1

They're doing the same thing to the freeway in my town. I heard a few rocks hit the windshield when I was driving to work last week but luckily no cracks yet.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
We had two! pile drivers across the road operating all day every day !7am-6pm! last summer. Like...May till September. I was home recovering in bed from 'stuff' and it really was hell on earth. There'd be the first bang, then the house would shake, then the second bang. Repeat. The girl across the road said her goldfish was upset - every time the pile driver went, the water would roll.

The house still stands, and I'm still a little bit sane, so yay!

I will keep your house in my thoughts. If you're concerned, though, take pictures with a copy of that day's newspaper in them. There are laws (here and there) about how much vibration a company is allowed to create.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
ooooh if someone was causing vibrations that caused the water in my fish tank to roll I'd lose my mind!!

Dave

They are putting the asphalt down now.
I'm so excited, I can drive my car again.
They left a nice 4-5" cliff at the end of the driveway. I bottomed the car out once last week. Been driving the truck to get around.

Dave

One of those zig-zaggy handicapped slopes.

Went out too look at the handy work.
They still have work to do. The drain gates are still off and the cliff is about half the height it was. Should still be able to get the car out without scraping.