wc2002: england v argentina!!!!

ris

england 1-0 argentina !!!!

david beckham's 44th minute penalty secures a famous victory for england against the world cup favourites! they now seem poised to go through to the knockout rounds, they need only a draw against nigeria to do so.

michael should have scored second half, as could sheringham, scholes and heskey. late on in the game argentina were putting england under trendous pressure but the defence, and rio ferdinand in particular, was fantastic.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss!!!!!

ingerland, ingerland, ingerland ingerland!!!! :D

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
So glad for you !!! :headbang:

You see, i told you england was going to make it, to the next round. (well anything can happen but.....)

How's the table ??

ris

err, looks like this:

sweden 2 1 1 0 pts4
england 2 1 1 0 pts4
argentina 2 1 0 1 pts3
nigeria 2 0 0 2 pts0

sweden and england could both qualify, and dump the favourites out of the cup! not that it will happen like that :)

ris

not bad odds, if we can get past nigeria. i doubt the odds are that good in the uk mind, the bookies here would be inundated!

AlladinSane

With the rivalty we have between brazilians and argies, I can't say I'm sad about it :D . Argentina is indeed in a delicate position. They have to win Sweden and that will not be easy...

AlladinSane

Placing 4 stron teams in a single group wasn't good for the tourney. That could be avoided if FIFA had acted properly and put England as head of a group instead of Spain. Can someone explain me what Spain did to deserve being a group head?

ris

i think it's something to do with appearances at the world cup in the recent past, current fifa ranking etc. spain are a reasonable seed team, germany perhaps not.

if england get through the group then i think it will be a real achievement, i just hope our media don't go too nuts

a13antichrist

Originally posted by AlladinSane
Placing 4 stron teams in a single group wasn't good for the tourney. That could be avoided if FIFA had acted properly and put England as head of a group instead of Spain. Can someone explain me what Spain did to deserve being a group head?

No, it wasn't very helpful. It means that teams like Sweden & Nigeria won't be present, while Russia, Sth Korea, Costa Rica, and Japan probably will be.

I reckon the tournament should be seeded right the way through.

And any linesman who disallows valid goals doens't get anymore games for the tournament. Two in one game and you get demoted. :mad: