WC2002: France v Senegal

ris

i'm going to post as many scores and/or mini-reviews of world cup matches [obviously england, usa and mexico games ;)]. if i watch it i'll give details otherwise only scores and scorers.

opening match is group a; world and european champions france vs world cup newcomers senegal [who reached the final of teh african nations cup earlier this year, losing to cameroon on penalties]

half-time score:

france 0-1 senegal
pb diop 30

confusion in french defence following diouf run allows diop to scramble the ball in.

france earlier hit the post [trezegeut]

ris

final score:

france 0-1 senegal

sensational opening game sees world champions lose to the newcomers. both teams hit the bar in the second half but france showed little invention.

group a:

senegal 1 1 0 0 pts 3
uruguay 0 0 0 pts 0
denmark 0 0 0 pts 0
france 1 0 0 1 pts 0

ris

yup, and if they play like at against uruguay and denmark they might have a hard time getting to the knock-out stages. it also has an effect on england's progress as the teams from group a meet those form group f [england's] in the knock-out stages.

assuming england get out of their group...

france were poor really, defensively quite weak and when senegal shut up their defence the french attack did little.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
England is a great team, i know they will make it out of its group.

What's the England's FIFA rank ??

I believe Mexico's is 7th, but i doubt about the accuracy of it.

ris

england are ranked 12th, mexico are 7th as you said [but we beat you guys 4-0 last year :p ;)]

top 15 teams [fifa rankings ]

1. france
2. brazil
3. argentina
4. columbia
5. portugal
6. italy
7. mexico
8. spain
9. netherlands
10. yugoslavia
11. germany
12. england
13. usa
14. romania
15. republic of ireland

Jeslek

Banned
Who cares about soccer (it is S-O-C-C-E-R, not football)?

Lets all bow our heads and observe a week of silence because the Hurricanes beat the Leafs. :(

MuFu

Hehehe, France suck. :D

Senegal played well though. Really held their own in midfield and the keeper was a star.

MuFu.

ris

no riots today, wait until england fans get going :( :rolleyes:

what is this soccer? there is football, american football and rugby football, but i have no idea what soccer is ;)

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
i don't know why "american football" is called that way.....that isn't football, they only hit the ball with their feet a few times per game.
This is football (f-o-o-t-b-a-l-l, not soccer :p )