wc2002: italy v croatia

ris

italy 1-2 croatia

mexico's group g is now wide opena fter italy spurned the chance to secure their place in the next round. in a scintilating second half italy had a goal disallowed for offside ,then scored before being hit by two croatia strikes in 3 minutes.
in all honesty it could have been 3 or 4 croatia goals in that space of time. italy pushed forward and had another goal disallowed in injury time.

importantly, if mexico win tomorrow then they will secure their place in the knockout stage where they could meet the usa :D

group g
italy 2 1 0 1 pts3
croatia 2 1 0 1 pts3
mexico 1 1 0 0 pts3
ecuador 1 0 0 1 pts0

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
We're almost screwed-------damn.

We need to win to Ecuador, by a lot of goals difference, obviously if Ecuador loss this game they will not play very hard against Croatia next week, making it easy for Croatia to make a lot of goals.

If we won, Italy will make their best trying to beat Mexico. DAMN!!!!

Win to Ecuador and draw with Italy maybe will make us stay in the cup.

AlladinSane

The two disallowed goals from Italy were legal in my opinion. Made me remind of the 86 cup when two serious referee mistakes threw out the best team of the Cup: Soviet Union. I don't remember a Cup with so many bad referees before.

a13antichrist

Both goals were perfectly legal and valid - coming from a qualified soccer referee.

There wouldn't have been any Croatia goals if the first Italian goal hadn't been stolen - 2-0 to the Italians (after Vieiri's four minutes later) would have been the end for Croatia.