wc2002: japan v russia

ris

japan 1-0 russia

japan win their first ever world cup match and give themselves an excellent chance of reaching the knockout stages, thanks to a second half strike from inamoto, who plays his football with arsenal.

group h
japan 2 1 1 0 pts4
russia 2 1 0 1 pts3
belgium 1 0 1 0 pts1
tunisia 1 0 0 1 pts0

unclehobart

My faith in soccer has been restored. I had begun to think that soccer fans had gone soft or something.

Russians On The Rampage

More than 100 people, including 11 police officers, were injured after Russian football fans went on the rampage through the streets of Moscow following their team's surprise 1-0 defeat by Japan at the World Cup.

One man was stabbed to death in the mass brawl which erupted in the area where some 3,000 supporters had been watching the game on big screens.

Fans smashed windscreens, overturned cars and hurled missiles at police.

Torched

Thick smoke billowed from seven torched cars outside the Moskva Hotel and the State Duma lower house of parliament.

One drunken fan in a car ran down three pedestrians, according to reports - but their condition was not known.

The disturbances, barely 100 metres from the Kremlin's walls, were the worst football-related violence to hit Russia since 2000, when two teenagers died in separate incidents after football matches.

President Vladmir Putin, an avid sports fan, was not in the Kremlin at the time of the riots.

Shame

He is in St Petersburg ahead of a meeting with Baltic states leaders.

The deputy head of the Russian government administration, Alexei Volin, condemned the violence, saying it brought shame on the nation.

"These events discredit millions of normal people who supported the national team."

The rioters "have nothing to do with sports or sports fans", he said, adding the troublemakers should be punished.

Some fans blamed heavy-handed policing for triggering the violence, but police said hooligans who had spent much of the match drinking had started the unrest.
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-10443960,00.html

ris

i saw that, quite unusual as it seems to be russian fans going on the rampage against other russian fans. as usual it's likely to be a minority few, not even football fans, who are just looking to cause trouble. :(