Weirdness

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
ok so, maybe not so weird now that he explains...

My brother took the main computer user accoutn on his computer (which was still in my name from when i owned it) and just changed it to his name...the computer froze today and he restarted for the first time since the change and now he can't see any of the files that were there before...anyway to get them back?

Luis G said:
login as admin and browse the files, then change owner.

is there a main admin account? how does he get into it?

the only accounts that show in the CP are the one that is now his name (was my name) and guest

Login:Administrator
Password: enter Administrator password

That is assuming that the administrator account wasn't modified. Also there may be No Administrator password in that case you can leave it blank (the password field) and just hit 'enter'.

He may have used the Admin account instead of creating antoher user..

Also there are utilies that can 'reset' the passwords.

So what does "can't log-in mean"?

What error message do you get?

Winky said:
Login:Administrator
Password: enter Administrator password

That is assuming that the administrator account wasn't modified. Also there may be No Administrator password in that case you can leave it blank (the password field) and just hit 'enter'.

He may have used the Admin account instead of creating antoher user..

Also there are utilies that can 'reset' the passwords.

So what does "can't log-in mean"?

What error message do you get?

Not that he can't log in...he changed the name associated with the main (and only) user account (I guess other than the admin one) and after he restarted the computer doesn't see the files that were there...he canlog in...just the files don't appear to be there

Nixy said:
Not that he can't log in...he changed the name associated with the main (and only) user account (I guess other than the admin one) and after he restarted the computer doesn't see the files that were there...he canlog in...just the files don't appear to be there

If he can succesfully login with full admin priviledges, the most likely problem is that windows changed his user directory, his files should be in another subdirectory under "\Documents and settings\hisoldusername".

Luis G said:
If he can succesfully login with full admin priviledges, the most likely problem is that windows changed his user directory, his files should be in another subdirectory under "\Documents and settings\hisoldusername".

Thanks Luis, I'll have him try that when he gets home from work :)

k...doesn't work...

esentially i guess he deleted the user that was there...he overrode the name with a new name...so windows thinks the account associated with all his files is gone...anyway to still access them?

Nixy said:
k...doesn't work...

esentially i guess he deleted the user that was there...he overrode the name with a new name...so windows thinks the account associated with all his files is gone...anyway to still access them?
I go My Computer->C:->Documents and Settings, and I have 4 user folders there...Owner, Guest, Leslie, and Administrator. If you go in that way is it there?

Well, first off, what OS is it? If it's XP Homer, the you can't login as Admin until you boot the system up in Safe Mode. Try using the F8 key and select Safe Mode then try to access the user account in here. You might want to change the password in here for the user in question as well.

Back