• Total voters

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
what\'s the mother of all sciences ?

Another thread made me think about it.

What do you think ?

Stop Laughing

I'm a huge math fan, but I don't consider math to be its own science, rather it's the primary tool of science. Science doesn't work without math, just like we don't work without tools (sometimes I just don't work period :D). There is no mother science (they are only restricted by their own laws), but there is a Mother Nature, hmm...

sbcanada

I say physics, because I am taking a Physics course right now, and I tell you this...... it is the mother of all bitches. :rofl2:

StuTheWise

Meta Physics. It's all theoretical. Who cares if you're wrong? There's no way to prove it 'cause it's just a theory! By the time they get around to disproving you, you'll be long dead and not have to bare the shame of it all.

Q

pfft...
no biology...no people
no people...no categories
shit just happens
but there's nobody to make up the categories

unclehobart

In raw terms as to what brought humans out of the bushes and made them the Nintendo playing, Gucchi wearing knuckle dragging monkeys we are today is the science of agriculture.

Luis G

Staff member
What really made us what we are and developed our entire society was the science of having sex :eek:

unclehobart

buzzz... nyet, comrade. Humans were having sex long before anything resemling a society came about. Sex had nothing to do with the formation of trade, linguistics, food, etc ....

nalani

philphreakinglosophy is the mother ph*cker of all sciences ...

it's the only one that made me "think" during the final .. and the only final EVER that I'm sure I didn't get an "A" ... pusses :mad2:

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
I'd say physics, simply because chemistry is reducible to physics, and biology is reducible in theory to chemistry, cosmology is reducible to physics, astrology is reducible to physics, etc.

However, that being said, many people might also conclude that culture is reducible to biology, thus reducible to physics. I think that's making a stretch. Reductionism is good, greedy reductionism is bad. That's why I put the in theory tag on the reduction of biology to chemistry. Even though it is possible in theory to reduce it ultimately to physics, that is just not the right level at which to study the field in a meaningful way. Language, Art, and other aspects of culture are emergent phenomena. It would be silly to try to reduce behavioral science to physics (although physics might provide some insight at certain points, or for certain questions).

Still, although there are some emergent sciences, and greedy reductionism is bad, you can't deny physics as being the cornerstone of the whole shebang.

Philosophy is its own monstor, emergent and ugly. ;) I actually like philosophy quite a bit, but I can't see it being more important than physics. Without physics, many other sciences would be barren. Without those sciences, the philosophy of science would hardly be interesting.

Luis G

Staff member
When i took my philosophy class 8 years ago :eek:, the teacher told us that philosophy is the "science of sciences".

Anyway, i like philosphy, the Sophisms are cool.

ol' man

Originally posted by Gonz
without the laws of physics all else is moot.

Then explain to me why there is gravity with these great Laws of Physics?

Physics merily explains why things do what they do at times but it seems it cannot explain them all.

One instance is reaction rates in chemistry once again. They can only be done by experiment. It is too funny when Physicists think they are chemists, way too funny! Physics may exlpain why two particles are attracted to each other or the energy potential of breaking a bond but that is about it. You cannot guarentee once a chemical is made what exact charechteristics it will have and sometimes you are not even close.

Explain with physics why it is very hard to even find a neutrino when billions upon billions of them are passing through the earth every day. Only after very intense supernova events are the instruments on the earth able to find maybe 7 of them over a period of a few days.

The only way they can detect them is when one neutrino hits a certain atom it causes that atom to transmutate into another and light is given off. Explain why that happens with yer physics?

Physics only partly explains why atomic interaction happens. It does not "MAKE IT HAPPEN."

Biology only organizes Chemistry into life processes.

I am sure it can be done but explain why c12 diamonds conduct heat better than a mixture of c13 and c12 with yer Physics. Would be interesting to know why?