What about this motherboard?

Jeslek

Banned
ris said:
luis said 'it's unreliable for me because a linux user'. he laid no blame at the feet of usb. stop looking to pick issues where there are none.
That sentence under proper English interpretation indicates that USB is unreliable. That is stated in the first part. Then follows a reason. The way that sentence read was he is blaming USB because Linux can't support it. Sorry about that though, I'm just fond of USB. And ris, drop it ok? I misunderstood what he meant.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
yes, i would not depend on USB because there are not many drivers for Linux. (in other words........unreliable for me)
did i blame Linux? no.....
did i blame USB? no.....
did i blame driver availabilty? yes.....

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
many Linux drivers are developed by the company that made the hardware (IBM, Realtek and nvidia are examples)
Products made by "companies in MS pocket" have driver support "of the community".

ris

when i get round to trying mandrake again i hope to be surprised - pleasantly surprised :)

Jeslek

Banned
Justintime said:
would not depend on a solely USB mobo
Well right now for the past 2 years I've used nothing but USB in my mobo, even though I have all the extra stuff... Don't see why not. Care to explain? I'd like my brother to make that decision and need some facts.

usb is flaky, loses itself sometimes, power problems, driver issues, i'd rather a good ps/2 mouse and keyboard, plus for me as an overclocker at times it just goes insane many a time, even when PCI, AGP busses are ok.

Jeslek

Banned
Justintime said:
usb is flaky, loses itself sometimes, power problems, driver issues, i'd rather a good ps/2 mouse and keyboard, plus for me as an overclocker at times it just goes insane many a time, even when PCI, AGP busses are ok.
Hm if you don't overclock? I've never overclocked and I've never had problems with my USB stuff.

LastLegionary said:
Justintime said:
Hm if you don't overclock? I've never overclocked and I've never had problems with my USB stuff.

taken me out of context, i said as an overclocker, not when overclocking only. USB still has to prove itself to be as trustworthy as ps/2 to me to be the only option availabe on a board. I don't know your experience with motherboards, but am fairly confident that mine dwarfs yours immensly and its quite possible that usb can be 100% ok in many stiuations as i have alot of usb devices too, but in the BIG picture its one of the more unreliable interface on a computer in my opinion.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I have no problems with my USB :headbang:

If some company wants to make a totally legacy-free motherboard, they should get on the bandwagon of PCI-X/3.0 or HyperTransport or something, the old PCI has been around since what, 486? Pentium? Also dump that old parallel ATA crap, Serial ATA is coming to replace it, and parallel ATA has been around since god knows when.

whoreable

check out the kd7 i personaly think it looks better than the max.....and cheaper too...who needs serial atat now??