What do you think about cloning?

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
I just read this tasmania tiger Do you guys think cloning a extinct animal is a good thing or bad thing?

(Reuters) - Australian scientists announced on Tuesday a breakthrough in efforts to clone the extinct Tasmanian Tiger, saying they had replicated some of the animal's genes using DNA extracted from preserved male and female pups. The scientists from the Australian Museum in Sydney said they hoped to clone a Tasmanian Tiger in 10 years if they were successful in constructing large quantities of all the genes of the Tasmanian Tiger and sequencing sections of the genome to create a genetic library of Tasmanian Tiger DNA.

Professur

Only if man was directly responsable for the extinction. Even then, it'll probably be so inbred that it'll not survive long.

I'd like to see a lot of that money going to preventing extinctions instead.

hardtellin

absolutely,I always thought cloning was a part of our future and I am sure it will be.

Human beings are destructive,we need to replenish what we destroy out of technology and pure greed,not that I think thats right,Its just inevitable.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Woah, finally they're doing it, i read about it a few years ago.

I support cloning.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
I think I agree with Professur. If it's an animal that man was involved in its extinction, even if thousands of years ago, then I'd probably say "sure."

If you're talking about something from a million years ago, well... let it rest (not that it would be possible anyway).

I don't know how they plan on doing this though. Having Tazmanian Tiger DNA doesn't get you very close to being able to clone it. You still need a Tazmanian Tiger DNA reader... i.e., a mother that can carry the offspring to term.

Genetic information doesn't allow you to just create an organism. You have to be able to read that information and know what to do with it... how it should develop. I don't think a fertilized egg will just grow on it's own in a petri-dish. It takes a womb to give the proper environment (including a host of unknown chemical signals) for the embryo to develop.

I'd love to know how they plan on getting around this. Perhaps there's a present day relative that might be compatible?

G

I would like to clone me and then there would be tons of s4's out there on the web. :eek:

Seriously, I don't support human cloning at all.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
Here is the whole story from them. P.S. here is the new genome project.

"What was once nothing more than an impossible dream has just taken another giant step closer to becoming a biological reality," he said, adding that the ultimate aim was to clone a viable reproducing population of Tasmanian Tigers.

The Tasmanian Tiger (thylacine) was a dog-like carnivorous marsupial with stripes on its back that lived on the southern Australian island state of Tasmania.

The creature originally roamed Australia and Papua New Guinea, but sometime between 2,000 and 200 years ago disappeared from the Australian mainland, only to be found in Tasmania.

It took man only some 70 years to make the Tasmanian Tiger extinct, as farmers in the 1800s began shooting, poisoning, gassing and trapping the animal, blaming it for attacking sheep.

The last known Tasmanian Tiger died in 1936 and it was officially declared extinct in 1986.

COMPLEX OF GUILT

The project to bring the Tasmanian Tiger back from extinction began in 1999 when Australian Museum scientists extracted DNA from an ethanol-preserved female pup in its collection.

In 2001, further DNA was extracted from two other preserved pups -- the tissue source for this DNA was bone, tooth, bone marrow and dried muscle.

Archer said the alcohol-preserved female pup's DNA had given scientists the Tasmanian Tiger's X chromosome and the other samples the male Y chromosome.

In May 2002 the museum's scientists, using the extracted DNA, replicated some of the Tasmanian Tiger's genes using a process called PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction).

"The supposedly dead DNA in fact reacts in the way live DNA does. Clearly the DNA we collected was not extinct -- it works," Archer said. "It makes molecule cloning possible."

Archer said if the museum was successful it would seek to clone a viable population of Tasmanian Tigers, using the Tasmanian Devil, another carnivorous marsupial, as a host.

"We want a viable population. We don't want a strange animal pacing back and forth in a laboratory. What we want to do is put that animal back in the wild and for that we need a viable, reproducing population," he said.

But Archer said the technology for the final stage of cloning, putting the Tasmanian Tiger's genetic material into a Tasmanian Devil host cell which has been stripped of the devil's genetic material was still to be developed.

"We don't know the length of this journey. Its up to the speed with which technology keeps pace with the vision. But I am optimistic," he said.

"The Tasmanian Tiger is an iconic Australian animal, its woven in a complex web of guilt because Australians made it extinct. We need to lift this burden of guilt."

fIxx3r

Yeah i'm for cloning! I wanna clone Heidi Klum and be her shag-mate! Only problem is to get her to like me . :D

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Archer said if the museum was successful it would seek to clone a viable population of Tasmanian Tigers, using the Tasmanian Devil, another carnivorous marsupial, as a host.

I guess that answers my question.

Q

I think cloning has great potential, but they can't just go around cloning stuff willy nilly. The impact of bringing back a creature that has been extinct could have a devastating impact on present day or future ecology.
For example: if this tazmanian tiger has no natural predators anymore, 2 or 300 years down the road, when there are about a few hundred thousand of them chowing down on say, the rodents, that chow on the bugs...the marked decrease in the rodent population might precipitate a marked increse in giant hairy spiders because the dwindling rat population can no longer keep up with the increasing spider population. In the mean time the spiders are mutating because that dreadful hole in the ozone has caused horrendous changes in their DNA and now that they weigh 150lbs and have teeth the size of chainsaws they're going around eating people and tazmanian tigers.
See how bad that could be?

StuTheWise

I don't have much opinion on the cloning of animals... I'm just waiting for them *$#@! doctors to clone me a new @#$&amp;!'ing arm!

So I suppose you could say that I'm all for human cloning.

Q

That would be cool, except I don't think they could grow you an arm without it being attached to ...welll...the other you. :eek:

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Actually, lab grown organs and appendages will probably be a reality within a couple or three decades.

They've already grown an ear in the lab, and they routinely grow skin now for burn victims.

AtAri

Genetic modification and alteration is and will be part of our future. Bringing back a species that humans wiped out is a small bite of the apple.

Good on the lads for trying to do some good.

Q

They grow the skin from discarded foreskins, but that ear was cultivated on a mouse....I'm thinking they might need something a little larger to grow a man sized arm.

StuTheWise

I was thinking they could grow a complete, brainless, clone of me, then transplant my brain (they have already done total body transplants on monkeys... although the monkeys were unable to control their new body)... or amputate the arm and stick it on me. Then throw the clone in storage in case I, or somebody else, is in need of some organ.

Of course, there is the problem of getting the clone to be full-size in less than a lifetime...

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
Yes, the ear was grown on a mouse, but I believe that is more a sign of our current limitation with the techniques and understanding, not a sign of the ultimate limitations of genetic manipulation and biological control.

Growing a heart in a vat of fluid may be a possibility in 75 years.