What is it with Mayo ?

Inkara1

I like mayo but I've been leaving it off sandwiches lately to save calories (the amount of mayo for a six-inch sandwich at Subway is 110 calories and 12 grams of fat by itself). Oddly enough, I haven't had any problems with having it left off. I have the occasional problem with pickles being put on (I find the taste of pickles to be particularly offensive), but mayo has consistently not been a problem.

As for mustard... I like regular yellow mustard for hot dogs, but for sandwiches, it needs to be a spicy (like Gulden's) mustard or dijon.

BeardofPants

Colmans mustard on occasion (if eating sausages with german potato salad). Generally, don't tend to use dressings for sammiches or (leaf) salads. A good salad doesn't really need a dressing. Ditto for sammiches. Subways, I've forgone the cheese/dressing for a long time now.

JTP

Colmans mustard on occasion (if eating sausages with german potato salad). Generally, don't tend to use dressings for sammiches or (leaf) salads. A good salad doesn't really need a dressing. Ditto for sammiches. Subways, I've forgone the cheese/dressing for a long time now.
Culinary Goddess-YES! German tater salad done right is one of the best things about your planet. And- a good, fresh leafy salad needs no dressing, maybe some freshly-ground black pepper. I like the way the waithuman looks at you funny when you say "no dressing". And water- what's wrong with ordering a pitcher of ice water? They also turn up noses when you ask for extra mustard and Tabasco- it is like they are pushing BLAND!
Hell, I'm going to tip 'em- they just don't know it yet.
:banana:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Even though I love mayo I hardly ever eat it. I don't even have any in the house. I'm trying to eat much healthier these days. Cutting out fast food, fatty food, refined sugar, etc and I feel FANTASTIC! I used to think Subway was "healthy" but I have recently learned that it is indeed NOT good for you.

Inkara1

Subway CAN be good for you if you work the menu right... I'll give you a hint: ordering "the feast" with cheese, mayo, oil and vinegar... that's probably not a low-cal way to go.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Anyway...If I use mustard, it has to be complimented with one of two things mixed into it...Wasabi paste or Horseradish. The type of mustard or name brand doesn't matter...however...if you go with that wasabi paste, you need to use two tubes for every 12 ounces of mustard. ;)

BeardofPants

Subway IS healthy if you stick to the 6 grams or less options. I usually get the roast beef or turkey with all the salads, but no cheese or dressing. Comes out to under 300 calories.

BeardofPants

Culinary Goddess-YES! German tater salad done right is one of the best things about your planet. And- a good, fresh leafy salad needs no dressing, maybe some freshly-ground black pepper. I like the way the waithuman looks at you funny when you say "no dressing".
:banana:

Oh, I know! Some places are so not used to it, and when you finally get your salad, it's got fucking dressing all over it. I've had to start channelling my inner-American & sending it back (the kiwi way is to not say anything). :smash:

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Oh, I know! Some places are so not used to it, and when you finally get your salad, it's got fucking dressing all over it. I've had to start channelling my inner-American & sending it back (the kiwi way is to not say anything). :smash:

You mean you don't complain if your order gets screwed up...ever? :confused:

JTP

(the kiwi way is to not say anything).
Speak out! It is your right! Or don't pay for what you didn't order!

BeardofPants

You mean you don't complain if your order gets screwed up...ever? :confused:

I didn't say it was sensible. :eh: We tend to be somewhat non-confrontational. If we don't like it... we don't go back. And the restaurant in question never learns what they did wrong. :blank:

tonksy

I always get my dressing on the side because either restaurants put too much or they lump it in one spot.
There is a restaurant local to here, however, that makes the best bleu cheese dressing in the world and it's so easy to eat too much of it.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I never said subway couldn't be low calorie, I said it isn't healthy.

I'd be willing to bet their meats are all processed, their breads probably contain all sorts of things that aren't healthy, add to that the fact that A LOT (notice I didn't say all) of the people who go to Subway thinking it's the "healthy alternative" add processed cheese and fat filled sauces to their sandwiches...

Don't get me wrong, I do sometimes still eat Subway...it's rare but it happens. That said, when evaluating how well I've eaten that week it goes under the "bad meals" category. Of course, I'm not on a tight and narrow weight loss road, I'm adapting a whole new lifestyle that involves eating organic, locally grown, fresh food as opposed to processed crap...the weight loss will come eventually as I'm slowly cutting out refined sugars, excessive carbs and excess fat...but the main goal is long term health.

JTP

Nixy- that's sensible. It is not about pounds, it's about nutrition and, as you said- long term health. Cutting out the processed food, refined sugar and bread is a good start. I miss bread, but can live without it. Eating a lot more wild rice and veggies (homegrown) does make a difference in how you feel.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I still eat pasta and I'm sure I'll have some bread in my diet (I love bread) but I'm eating Kamut pasta lately...it's got more protein, amino acids and other good things than regular wheat pasta and I really like it. I made home made mac and cheese the other night with all natural organic cheese and kamut pasta and it was FABULOUS. I haven't bought bread in awhile but I'm going to try the Kamut bread the next time I have a hankering for bread.

JTP

Yeah, I've cut out bread entirely except for the occasional homemade jalapeno cornbread. I will not give up cheese, though... they can take my sharp cheddar and smoked gouda when they pry my cold, dead fingers from around it!
:hairbang:

tonksy

You can eat starches. It's an important part of a diet. You just need to question where they came from and what's in them.
Rob's mom bought us a pasta maker attachment for our mixer. We need to start experimenting with that.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
You can eat starches. It's an important part of a diet. You just need to question where they came from and what's in them.
Rob's mom bought us a pasta maker attachment for our mixer. We need to start experimenting with that.

Agreed. I don't think I'll be making my own pasta anytime soon but the alternative pastas I've discovered are great.

BeardofPants

See, I've lost a whole bunch of weight (55 lbs), and I did it through portion control rather than cutting out stuff. I still eat bread, pasta, chocolate, etc, but I stick to recommended portion sizes.