What is it with Mayo ?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
See, I've lost a whole bunch of weight (55 lbs), and I did it through portion control rather than cutting out stuff. I still eat bread, pasta, chocolate, etc, but I stick to recommended portion sizes.

Unfortunately chocolate falls under the "processed crap" umbrella so it's out for me. I'm sure I'll still consume chocolate once in awhile...no one can be good 100% of the time but the general idea is to work towards eliminating processed stuff from my diet. That includes eliminating white bread and pasta...it's not the carbs that I'm running from it's the processed crap. I'm hoping that weight loss will be a happy side effect but it's not the main purpose of the changes I'm implementing. I have discovered that I can eat very enjoyable meals that are organic, made from natural ingredients and filling. I no longer see a reason to constantly put processed crap into my body when there are better foods I enjoy just as much. I enjoy a snack of nuts just as much as I enjoy chocolate (maybe more actually). So, I spend a little extra cash and get snacks that are healthy for me. Portion control of the nuts was a problem at first but I've got that down to a science now.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I guess I should clarify that by cutting "excessive carbs" I mean I no longer eat pasta EVERYDAY like I used to. I also used to eat a loaf of bread in a week or less...I also no longer do that. I don't avoid bread, I just eat less of it because I ate too much before and I try to stick to healthier breads.

BeardofPants

But kudos on the lifestyle change - it sounds very similar to the process I started when I wanted to lose weight. I made it about lifestyle change rather than short-term dieting. So, I decreased the processed crap, and increased the fresh, organic stuff. I eat lots of fruit, veggies, nuts, etc. Not so much red meat, some chicken. Salads. I bake my own bread (a mix of wholemeal, white and cornmeal). I make most of our meals. Like I said earlier. It's about figuring out the serving size & sticking to it.

BeardofPants

Nix, not a dark choc fan, huh? I ferget that not everyone is bitter & twisted like me. ;)

Forget bread- but I still brake for boiled peanuts!

I've never had boiled peanuts. My favourites still tend to be pistachios (raw) & almonds. Mmmm. I could snack on dates & almonds all day if I let myself. :blank:

JTP

Almonds, pecans, boiled peanuts, edamame- dried blueberries and cranberries. The trick I've found is to just snack all day instead of eating big meals- your metabolism will crank up and get your motor running, burning all the time. I feel like I've got steam in my veins instead of blood.

tonksy

Boiled peanuts are heavenly IF They are cajun seasoned.

I am having pizza and beer for dinner. Ya'll can condemn me all you want but it's football day!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
BoP: I think maybe I don't like dark chocolate because I'm already sooooo bitter on my own that my body can't handle any additional bitter-ness :D

Tonks: Nothing wrong with eating less than stellar food sometimes. I think the issue comes in when people are filling their bodies with crap and pretending that it's good for them. Even worse is when they actually HONESTLY think it IS good for them. I don't think any of us eat good food all of the time.

chcr

Too cute for words
Not too fond of the boiled peanuts myself. Roasted ones now...
I like dark chocolate as well as milk chocolate (or pretty much naything else chocolate). Re the lass than stellar food, seems lie lately I lose 8-10 pounds during the week and then gain most of it back on the weekend. What is this willpower some people speak of?

tonksy

At least my pizza had some veggies on it.

We really do eat quite a bit of veggies here. The co-op deliveries ensure this.

nalani

We *heart* mayo here in Hawai'i .. and there's only one that's 'right' .. Best Foods (west of the Rockies it's Hellman's). We're so anal about our mayo that we can tell if it's Best Foods by looks and taste :D

H2O boy

There is only one mayo, and it is Dukes. Everthing else is garbage.

but I perfer mustard mostly anyway unless its on a blt sandwich.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Hellman's is east of the Rockies in Canada too!

I'm like that with Ketchup, if it isn't Heinz I have no interest. I just found out there is organic Heinz ketchup, I am SO EXCITED!

tonksy

It apparently tastes the same as we have secretly swapped our ketchup for the organic Heinz and Malory still spoons it up.