what is wrong with people?

unclehobart

I was actually saying it in my voice using what little lingo I know. T'wern nigh gi'n tuh rake ye scot brouge laddie.

Elwood

What's really disturbing is how it seems people get more worked up about this sort of thing than they do when humans are murdered/tortured etc. It's a twisted world.

kuulani

Originally posted by Professur
Don't forget the bbq spice. Hey Na, you've been to a luau. How long do you need to spit cook 175lbs of meat?

Unc's right - no spit cook here. Traditionally, our meat is cooked underground in an imu (oven-type thing).
175 lbs is not a lot of meat ... I'd say a couple of hours at the most. ;)

Professur

Originally posted by Elwood
What's really disturbing is how it seems people get more worked up about this sort of thing than they do when humans are murdered/tortured etc. It's a twisted world.

It's a cultural sort of thing, Elwood. Personally, I'd rather see a city nuked than a dog put to sleep. People, even innocent children, have a capacity for evil that no dog ever will.

Elwood

Professur,

While I agree that all humans have a tendency for evil (and therefore no one is innocent), animals are not even in the same realm as humans. Man has dominion over them. I'm not saying it's alright to torment them, but we use them as we see fit. That's how things were set up from the beginning.
Our cat was run over a few weeks ago. I could tell my wife was a little upset about it. My 8 year old daughter asked when we could get another one before I had the last of the dirt over the carcass. That was the extent of her emotional attachment. I really liked the cat, as far as cats go, but there are plenty more where that one came from. I think people have seen too many Disney movies. Most of them that are that emotional about animals are either unmarried or don't have, and probably never will have, children.
If my daughter had been the one we found in the street, would that have been better? (rather see a city nuked) Like I said, very disturbing.

greenfreak

Everyone has their opinion on what good pets are or aren't. The problem comes when people who feel that animals are worthless adopt/buy pets. Or worse, abuse them. Maybe I have a greater empathy and respect for dogs because I had one as a pet growing up, I don't know. But they should be allowed only for the people who are going to treat them with respect--unfortunately, that doesn't happen alot of times.

kuulani

You're right, greenie. The same goes for humans. Wouldn't it be a better place if only the people who wanted children conceived/adopted?

greenfreak

That point is reinforced every time someone looks at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that we don't plan on having children. Think about how much of the general population is selfish, crazy, abusive, stupid people. Now think of how many of them have kids. Scary, isn't it?

StuTheWise

Now think of how many of them have kids. Scary, isn't it?
And that's why you should have kids... so you can contribute bright, responsible, caring humans to the population. ;) I'm joking of course. I hate kids... can't stand them, but after having two, and a third due anyday now, I gotta tell you there is nothing like that instant love that you suddenly feel -- for someone you've never met and don't even know -- the second they pop out of the womb.

I am not kidding... when my first son was born, I took one look at him and thought to myself, "Damn! That is one ugly looking creature!" About three seconds after his birth (and about a millisecond after I thought my previous thought), the instant love kicked in and my son was no longer some ugly creature, but the greatest blessing of my life, and I realized that I would never hesitate for even a nanosecond to give my life for him.

Back to the subject at hand... if someone can so callously torture an animal w/o care for the pain and suffering that the animal is experiencing, how much do you think that person would care about the suffering and torture of a human?

greenfreak

Kids make you love them.

People who abuse animals shouldn't have kids.

;) :D

Stu, I have to totally agree with you about your last paragraph. And I do feel boundless love for my nieces and nephews-but that's enough for me. I took care of two of them for a long time when they were babies as if I was their mother. I do feel a bond with them because of that but I also got a taste of what parenting was like and decided I could do without it.

Once my bf and I move into a place with a yard and fence, we can get the dogs we always wanted, then I'll be happy. :D

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
On a personal note...I grew up with 2 dogs, and, even though I took care of them and played with them, I never really 'loved' them. Sure, they were loyal and caring, but the spark just wasn't there. I feel the same way about cats, although cats seem to go out of their way to rub against my legs at every opportunity (my neighbors own 2 cats). I would never harm an animal that I wasn't going to use as a food source, and I would DEFINITELY not harm someone's pet. I WOULD, however, harm a person that abuses their pet. Does that make sense? :confuse3: