what is wrong with people?

kuulani

I live with animals too ... dogs, cats, fish, birds, pigs, goats (an occasional mice or two ;) ), and I think I feel the same way as you, Gato. These animals get the basics: food, water, shelter, attention, but I don't know why some people "humanize" their pets.

What's up with special diets, special bedding, special clothing, etc..? These animals live better than humans in third world countries. I even saw on the news a clinic specializing in canine acupuncture :rolleyes:

greenfreak

I don't know about pet acupuncture and pet psychics but I would definately go further than just giving a dog the basics. I tend to get more out of a pet if I put more in, and that's probably the case with many people. Rusty and I have each other to spoil and our nieces and nephews but when we get pets, we'll probably transfer some of that attention to them. I guess they'll turn out to be surrogate children as we are not going to have any. There's nothing wrong with doting on a pet especially when it's returned. But I'm not going to bring my dogs to a psychic to find out if they're pissed because I switched dog foods on them. :p

greenfreak

I keep thinking about my friend Bobbi's dog Layla. I was there when she adopted her and I actually named her too. When she hears my voice on the answering machine, she goes nuts running around the house looking for me. When I come to visit, she can barely control herself, she's so happy to see me. When I was going through the worst time in my life and living with Bobbi, Layla would come over and lay her head in my lap and look up at me. When I cried, she would try to lick the tears from my face. She's acted more human than some humans I know. I don't understand how some people cannot reciprocate the unconditional love of a dog.

Layla

Q

My dogs don't know they're not people. I never want them to find out either.

kuulani

I won't tell them either, Q.

Greenie, I can see the love you have for dogs. They're lucky to have you. My cousin has that same kind of love for her two dogs too.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
We (my parents) have two dogs. One is named Missy I think, but we've been calling her CornChip for years now. She has a gland problem... and smells like a freaking Frito. She also has an overactive tongue... can't stop licking things, the ground, the cat (;)), your shoes... :confuse3:

greenfreak

Sadly, I don't have any dogs. Yet. We plan on getting a yellow lab, chocolate lab and black lab when we get a nice place. Till then I only have my boyfriend and my plants to nurture. ;)

Inkara1

You people do realize that every time you step on a roach or drown a spider with Raid ("If a bit's good, the whole damn can must be better!"), you're killing an animal, right?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
:confuse3: cockroaches, spiders, thought those were insects.... :confuse3:

I really don't kill insects as a rule (ants and cockroaches yes without question - they invade space and poop in your cereal, also will destroy all manner of bees, mosquitos and blackflies - self defense), live release where possible is my motto.

Spiders, ladybugs, beetles, junebugs, most things I won't kill, but would rather pick it up, put it out and set it free.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Ummm...I believe that, when dealing with RAID, a little dab'll do ya'. :D

BTW, Leslie, spiders are not insects. Spiders are Arachnids... ;)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
:eek: realized that after I posted, was going to edit, then thought about the cockroaches, thought they weren't insects either, then the bees :confuse3: :eek: too much google searching :laugh: so I left it. Should have listened in biology instead of just cramming to pass the exam.

greenfreak

Originally posted by Inkara1
You people do realize that every time you step on a roach or drown a spider with Raid ("If a bit's good, the whole damn can must be better!"), you're killing an animal, right?

So what's your point?

I was mixing a bag of soil in with some peat moss last night and this 2 inch long bug with tons of legs fell out and I screamed :eek: LOL I didn't expect that I would find something like that in a sealed bag of soil. I had Rusty come over and kill it-I was acting like such a girl. It skeeved me bad. I still don't know what it was. I thought it might be a centipede or something. Eiw. *cringes*

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Depends upon the pet, actually. MOST pets live longer, and healthier, with people than without.