What mobile phone do you have?

Squiggy

ThunderDick
:D That just scared the shit out of me...I started scrolling up to get the crux of the thread and thought Altron was back...NOT FUNNY!....

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Only during emergency (Enhanced 911) calls (it's an FCC rule. :retard: )

Looks like I'll have to get a full-blown PDA or an expensive car for all-around GPS usage, but it's still pretty neat to have the functionality there for when it's needed. This thing is also an alarm clock, a scheduler, a web browser, and something to play games on when you're bored. And it's just purdy to look at :D

Jeez. I almost forgot there's a phone underneath all those features too! *gasp* :eek:

Mirlyn

I have the Sanyo 4900....same deal on the GPS thing. Brand new rule....not really in effect for a few years (while they phase out the old analog technology).

Sanyo_SCP_4900_Cellular_Phones-resized200.jpg

fury

Administrator
Staff member
It gives me the option to have it on without being in an emergency call, but I can't figure out how to activate it. Do I have to be in a call?

Mirlyn

Mine has the option too. I quickly and swiftly disabled it. :D

From what I've read, its purpose outside of emergency calls is to customize content for your particular location. So, for example, Sprint has this Wireless Web (*cough*crap*cough*) whereby you can log in and the phone will find the area you are in and you can get weather forecasts, movie showings, etc customized for your location (say, if you were out of town).

Mirlyn

It's only $10 for me, but its not worth it....at all. Slow speeds, lack of content, its just not worth it. Pure novelty, and only if you have the patience to press a button, set the phone down, come back later, select the menu, put the phone down, come back later, find the link, set the phone down.....well, you get the point.

I used to use the email on it to alert me when a server or a network went down. But then Sprint redid their plans and I had to have Web to have messaging (whereas before I had to have messaging to have Web). Bastards. Now it just text pages me. Not as pretty/customizeable as email, but, it works.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The functionality sounds useful for when one is on the go or unable to access a TV or computer to get certain info they need immediately (e.g. weather, traffic, maps). Cell phones seem to have progressed from mere phones that didn't require any wires to operate to, essentially, a swiss army knife of technology & communications.

I played some games on it earlier today (yesterday?), it was cool cause I didn't have to sit at a hard computer chair and mess around with bigass keyboards and mice. :beerbang:

I suppose one of these days I'll check out the web features on it, it'll probably be easier to get the weather and traffic reports on it than starting my web browser, typing www.weather.com, and entering my zip code and pressing enter, then going to www.whateverthefuckthetrafficreportsiteis.com and doing a bunch of clicking and typing or whatever.

But that will require money. I wish I had money. :retard:

I was gonna get text messaging, but I figure, the only people I know around here who have cell phones wouldn't use it. It'd be cheaper to call, seeing how I have 500 day minutes, 1000 minutes to other verizon customers, and free and unlimited night and weekend minutes, and I barely use 200 total minutes.

CS

Nokia 8850

8850_premium_class.jpg

had it for a while now, but I still think it's cool.

Most of you rarely seem to use your phones. I can't go anywhere without mine, I don't even have a landline. Must be a culture thing.

Jon

CenturionStrategy said:
I don't even have a landline. Must be a culture thing.

yes you do! it's got that big white thing connected to it that's on your hallway windowsill... you know... what's it called?... oh yes, THE HOME PHONE! :rolleyes:

Q

Mirlyn said:
Same here.....300 anytime, free sprint-to-sprint, free nights/weekends.
Boy, don't go over your minutes with Sprint. I went over 150 minute last month. I knew I was going to go over, but they don't let you update your plan until the next billing period:grumpy: Those 150 minute cost me $100.00

Mirlyn

I have gone over before.....try long distance roaming while over your minutes ;) I work at a camp out in rural Kansas and would occasionally call friends from there. Those hurt pretty damn bad...~$10-$12 a call, typical call was <5 mins.

300 is plenty, considering all my friends have Sprint. I typically use ~320 mins a month, but with the free sprint to sprint, I only use ~100 of the 300 anytime.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Over is $.40 a minute I think... which isn't all that bad considering the plan is just $40/mo. Hell, if there were a cheaper plan, I'd go with that. 500 daytime minutes is a bit overkill for my relatively boring lifestyle.

BlurOfSerenity

i'd like to get a nokia somethingorother, so that i can make use of all the super nifty faceplates and buttons and other accessories.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno why but I never got interested in being able to use faceplates. I guess if you get a phone that's purdy enough in the first place (which I did :D), you won't need one.

:beerbang: