what the hell....my bios just got wiped

flavio

Banned
I just got some extra RAM and installed it a little while ago and somehow in the process completely wiped my bios back to defaults. Even the clock.

I haven't even looked at it in a long time and had to try to set everything from memory. It took me about 4-5 boot ups and freezes to remember that my videocard doesn't like the default 100 MHz bus speed.

I'm going to be looking at this for days now.

outside looking in

<b>Registered Member</b>
That's pretty odd. Sure you didn't accidentally touch some jumper on the mobo while installing the RAM? Could be that there is some bios "feature" that notices the SPD on the new RAM was changed and set everything to defualt to be safe... dunno.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Did you have the power supply unplugged like a good little boy while you were installing the RAM?

If so, your CMOS battery might've bit the big one. Write down your settings this time and then unplug the power supply, see if it happens again.

HeXp£Øi±

That's happened to me on various occasions with different machines. It's probably no big deal imo. A little current fluctuation or interfearence might very well be the culpret.. If on the other hand it keeps doing it then i'd change the battery.

flavio

Banned
fury said:
Did you have the power supply unplugged like a good little boy while you were installing the RAM?

I sure did.

fury said:
If so, your CMOS battery might've bit the big one. Write down your settings this time and then unplug the power supply, see if it happens again.

I'll give it a try.